Emerson - It's just a job. | Glassdoor

"It's just a job."

Current Employee - Engineer in Harmans, MD
Current Employee - Engineer in Harmans, MD

Pros

It's a place to work, and sometimes you feel good when you help a customer.

Cons

It's a job, it can be a career, but it's just a job. Also, none of the managers seem to care when you're doing well. They only care when something bad is happening. I've been used as a scapegoat, when I was forced to make a decision because my manager wouldn't. If I cared more about my job, I may be pissed.

Advice to Management

I mentioned this when I first came to the company. There's no effort to build a family within the company. When I go to work I'de like to want to see the people I work with, but that's not how it is. Also it would be nice to get some positive feedback when a good job is being done.

Other Employee Reviews for Emerson

1. "I appreciate your steady hand, but some of the messages are not implemented at the bottom."

Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Great technology and products. Low churn rate. Co-worker knowledge and teamwork is great due to so many old timer 20-30 year employees.

Cons

Not much movement, since no-one leaves. Pay is low. Smart ambitious people cannot get ahead. Your promotions and authority are determined by with which site you are in, rather than your skills.

Advice to Management

I think they are doing a great job of getting the most out of people for the least amount of pay. From that perspective, they are doing great. I own enough stock so I benefit from both sides.

2. "Emerson Network Power is a viable division -- Embedded Computing is not."

Current Employee - Engineer in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Madison, WI

Pros

Emerson is a large company with many divisions -- this provides numerous opportunities for growth and advancement. Embedded Computing provided wonderful support for work/life balance and fairness to employees regarding personal situations.

Cons

Embedded Computing is a contracting market. Senior leadership is in turmoil and jobs are being shed around the world. The only locations hiring are in Asia (low cost). If you are in Asia, there are lots of opportunities. Anywhere else, enter a market other than embedded computing due to lack of jobs and stability. The customer base is mainly telecom and company performance fluctuates with the market.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the focus of Network Power. Some of the divisions within Network Power are performing and have stable leadership. Embedded Computing is not one of those divisions.