Employees Retirement System of Texas - It's been great to work for ERS, they are very involved and invested in your success | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Employees Retirement System of Texas

"It's been great to work for ERS, they are very involved and invested in your success"

Current Employee - Accountant in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Accountant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Employees Retirement System of Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Advance opportunities, good upper and middle leadership

Cons

Things take a while to come to life, being a governmnet agency sometimes the money doesn't come quite up to par with the private sector, yet is offset with the benefits and pension.

Other Employee Reviews for Employees Retirement System of Texas

1. "Positive Work-Life Balance"

I have been working at Employees Retirement System of Texas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ERS offers some flexible scheduling options outside of 8-5, which is great to avoid traffic since the building is located downtown. In my department, the supervisor is respectful of my personal time outside of work. Since starting with the agency, my work-life balance has significantly improved. I really enjoy the work and the schedule.

Cons

Downtown Austin area is very congested. I decided to start commuting by bus to avoid the hassle of traffic altogether.

Advice to Management

Continue efforts to communicate with staff. I think it helps knowing what changes could occur during this legislative year and the overall growth of the agency.

2. "Great benefits; little room for advancement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Employees Retirement System of Texas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Heavy workload on a variety of projects prevents boredom. Generally positive teamwork. There are many smart, dedicated employees who care about the work they do and the people they serve. Terrific place to work if you want to do challenging work and still have a family life, especially for investments and legal staff who are used to 60 hours a week in the private sector. Pay is not comparable but a pension is a huge benefit, and investments staff qualify for incentive compensation.

Cons

Just enough resources for basic operational priorities but no more. Takes years for tech projects to get done, after which they are immediately obsolete. Most resources go toward the Investments division, even though the agency also manages a $3 billion dollar health plan and many other programs. A flat organization means little room for advancement. Regarding hiring and promotions practices, there is a strong perception that buddies and brown nosing matter more than skills and experience.

Advice to Management

Too much focus on day-to-day emergencies means that opportunities to innovate or add value to programs are being missed. Invest in new ideas, and when new projects come on line, make sure resources are available to properly implement. Give managers and staff the breathing room to do outstanding work. Provide more opportunities for advancement for your best employees. It's okay to hire or promote people with political connections, but make sure they have the skills required for the job.