Enbridge - Complexity is our core competency. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Enbridge

"Complexity is our core competency."

Current Employee - Finance
Current Employee - Finance

Pros

Big organization affords lots of career opportunities. Excellent growth potential and a solid business model. High calibre employees. Lots to learn from Management and colleagues. People are great to work with. A culture of excellence.

Cons

Lots of overtime. Work-life balance very difficult to do. Sr. Management officially supports it, but in reality the expectation is that your work should be your life. Complex business drivers and financing makes work challenging, which is both positive and negative. Positive in the sense that there is lots to learn, but negative as work can be time consuming as often Sr. Management overfocuses on the details. As with most big organizations, can be very political and some managers are ambitious and are just interested in making themselves look good to their bosses. Work hard play hard can take its toll after a while.

Advice to Management

Solid leadership team at Enbridge. Business model is very strong and company is a solid investment. However, when it comes to employee concerns, Sr. Management lacks empathy.

Other Employee Reviews for Enbridge

1. "Beware"

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Hours of Work and vacation time

Cons

Frustation at getting things down

Advice to Management

Be present be available understand that your job is to lead not stay in your offices

"Reasonable pay but require patience and the ability to tolerate ambiguity."

Current Employee - Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

The company tends to be fairly competitive in pay and benefit. Very flexible work hours. My direct manager is actually at another location while my manager's boss resides in the same location as I am. However, my manager's boss travel lots. As a result, I pretty much work by myself and have lots of freedom.

The company also tries its best to provide training to employees and HR supports for career development. Nonetheless, an employee himself remains the main driver for his career development.

Cons

Its onboard process can use some improvement. New employees are left to their own to find out what they should do, how they should do their job, and who should they talk to; with little direction from managers. Many managers seem to be too busy to answer questions and listen to concern, some even seem to avoiding their direct reports, but some will do their best to chat with employees if requested.

Job performance review happen mostly once a year and employee tend to receive little feedback in between. When I request for more feedback, my manager told me that he tends to deal with matters as they happens and if he has any concern about my performance, he will for sure let me know.

The company as a whole is very decentralized and have many regional offices. As a result, learning the org chat and getting connected with the people one needs to work with tend to be a challenge. A good portion of the employees are not good at returning e-mails or phone on a prompt manner.

Advice to Management

The middle managers (and perhaps the senior managers as well) need to learn how to delegate work effectively and work smarter. While most managers complains that they have too much going on, I observe that many seem to be unorganized in their work. People tend to just jump from one task to another without taking the time to sit back, look at the big picture, and direct a path for the team. Meeting tend to be run longer than necessary as well. More leadership from the management would be nice.

I believe the senior management should also implement 360 reviews, since some managers (or directors) seem to be good at managing up, but fail to pay attention to the front line employees.