Encana - Great Company | Glassdoor

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Encana full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great wage, great benefits, with a real team atmosphere. Great presence in the local community and always willing to donate time and money to help out.

Cons

Too rapid of growth and some questionable decision by previous upper management hurt the company and caused some divestment and contraction.

Other Employee Reviews for Encana

"Great place to work"

Pros

Excellent vacation, 24 Fridays off/year, great development and training programs. Innovative company.

Cons

Resources are mostly dry gas after years of poor management. Need to hire more PhDs and specialists who truly understand the reservoir and value of research.

Advice to Management

On the right path after revamp. Need targeted acquisitions to grow liquids volumes.

"Great company until 2013. Future is likely good."

Former Employee - Geologist in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Geologist in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Encana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits, Fridays off were fantastic. Great work-life balance for my position (Geologist).

Cons

2013 was an ugly year for the company. There was so much wasted time and non-productivity waiting for the next decision to come in the re-structuring of the company. I had months (yes months) where there was no or little direction. Towards the layoff period we basically just waited for them to let us know if we were going to be let go or not.
    Management was overall pretty weak, though, mostly due to not having any ideas what was going on.

Advice to Management

Hopefully you did indeed pick the best plays going forward. The company went from "all-in" on natural gas, to all in on the big 5. Last chance in my opinion.
    Having said that, I believe that Doug Suttles is a very smart CEO and will likely get this company back to being great again.