EnerNOC - An okay company, wouldn't recommend to others, don't accept internships | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for EnerNOC

"An okay company, wouldn't recommend to others, don't accept internships"

Current Intern - Data Analyst in Boston, MA
Current Intern - Data Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at EnerNOC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, nice facilities, free snacks

Cons

Shady hiring, mostly just plugging holes for busy work

Other Employee Reviews for EnerNOC

"Pressure stifles innovation and creativity"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's nice to work with so many smart and energetic people. The Boston office is accessible by public transportation. The open sharing of company information that I saw was unparalleled by any of my other work experiences. There are few or no silos within the company, which is great and something that kills other companies.

Cons

Working at EnerNOC is like working in a pressure cooker, especially in marketing and sales. Now that I have left the company, I can see how so much pressure stifles employees' abilities to think creatively and innovate their craft. The pressure is top-down and permeates every aspect of the work environment. Although I said that it is nice to work with so many smart and energetic people, the pressue to perform causes many nice people to become bad people. I'm talking about backstabbing, two-facing, condescending kind of crap.

Advice to Management

Time to clean up your act. You can't keep drinding people down into nubs. All your smart, talented people that you worked hard to recruit are leaving the company. Seems like you have 80% or more turnover in Marketing these days. The rate couldn't be much better in Sales. Additionally, the word is out in the industry about what it's like to work at EnerNOC--and I don't mean that in a good way. Several far-flung people I recently met from the utilities and clean teach industries have told me that they heard bad things about working at EnerNOC. You need to act now if you want to regain a good name for yourself in the industry.

"Rewarding experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, well-educated, confident people - fun to have nothing but Type A personalities in a room!
    Clear mission
    Fun and innovative culture that values opinions at all levels
    Interesting, meaningful industry
    Great location & workplace
    Exciting

Cons

Low salaries
    Fair amount of churn overall
    Low budget for projects
    Not-so-great work-life balance
    Inexperienced management

Advice to Management

I thrived at EnerNOC, personally and professionally. I looked forward to getting to work each day, and seemed to have earned the respect of folks across the organization. But after a few years with no promotion, no meaningful raise, and no opportunity for even a lateral move, I felt I had no option to grow my career and compensation other than to move on. A shame!