EnerNOC - Great Company, Super Passionate Employees, Dysfunctional at Times | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for EnerNOC

"Great Company, Super Passionate Employees, Dysfunctional at Times"

Former Employee - Operations in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Operations in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The EnerNoc mantra of hiring "smart, relentless, and good" people is true - exceptional team
Incredibly exciting industry and EnerNoc is the clear leader
Challanges galore - great opportunity to learn and disrupt an old, stodgy industry (energy)
Meritocracy - you'll read some horrible glassdoor reviews but my sense is those come from really bitter underperformers (you can almost identify them by name!). EnerNoc weeds out poor hires fast but perhaps not fast enough
Customer/market focused - they deliver what they say they'll deliver and they really focus externally

Cons

Challenges galore - the flip side is that change happens fast and can be disruptive
Dysfunctional product strategy - do you want to be in efficiency or not? Do you want great tech? Make a decision and stick with it!
Super sales-oriented culture - ease up! Sales results are great and you've got great leadership but spread the attention and investment
Politics - a lot of people kiss up but they hire a lot of upwardly mobile people so it wasn't shocking

Advice to Management

Keep it up. I really enjoyed my time there and I was impressed with leadership despite their relative inexperience. Then again they've been doing it longer than anyone in the industry so I guess that might not apply any more.

Tune your approach and try to be more consistent. The ship is heading in the right direction and the fact that you're an alternative energy success story is testament to your leadership.

Keep investing in product and engineering. Try to spread the equity - I got stiffed too many times!

Other Employee Reviews for EnerNOC

"Zero Stars would be too high"

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Got paid every two weeks.
    Some customers were a pleasure to serve.
    "Green" is very important to most employees.
    Snacks and drinks were made available on a regular basis.

Cons

There is absolutley no room for advancement or any notion of career development.
    My work was mundane and unimportant.
    Turnover was extremely high in some areas. Workers are largely treated like a disposable commodity.
    All of EnerNOC's sevices can be found at other companies for less with better execution and quality.

Advice to Management

During my time at EnerNOC, it was clear to me that management did not care about anything but their own bottom line. EnerNOC is a house of cards and will never actually turn a profit. Management will however be rewarded when the company is sold to the highest (and blindest) bidder.

"Decent pay, interesting work, good coworkers, bad managers"

Former Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at EnerNOC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the location and facility
    Good snacks and food
    Adequate resources - computer, phone, etc
    Great coworkers

Cons

Bad middle management - incompetent and don't know what's going on
    Chaotic processes
    High turnover
    Don't listen to people doing actual work
    inadequate technical support

Advice to Management

Fire or remove your middle management. Reassess processes. listen to the "on the ground" workers esp in efficiency from sales to engineering to IT