England Logistics - Sinking Ship!!!! | Glassdoor

"Sinking Ship!!!!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at England Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Started off as a fun atmosphere but quickly diminished. Everyone that started with me had high hopes. We were told as account managers we would make around 65k our first year… Not even close. You get a 40k base but commissions are nonexistent. They try to make things "fun" with games and activities but the best thing there seems to be the Ping Pong table… if your into that…. Company could be great, as it brings in a lot of money each year and seems to be growing but the Cons far outweigh the pros.

Cons

There always seems to be some way the commissions are messed up. Most end up having to continually track your sales and what you should get paid on and then hassle management to get the report fixed so you get paid. They promise promotions within but that is a lie. They keep hiring outside of the company for management and bring in these people that have no idea what is going on and expect them to lead. It also says a lot about a company when you are considered a veteran after being there one year. The longest tenured account manager has been with the company roughly 3 years and has no chance of advancement. If you make it to Senior Account Manager, forget getting promoted. You make the company too much money to move up and if you don't make SAM quickly then you are fired. All in all this company could be fun and enjoyable, the work isn't bad and if a few things were changed it could be a good career. Management won't act though. They feel nothing is "broken" so we shouldn't try to fix it. We still bring in millions a year and the VPS get a handsome bonus while employees get a gift card to Wal-Mart for $25. As people come to the company they are optimistic but work here for a month or so and you will soon realize you need to find something else. Everyone on my floor is looking for their next job/career. Once they find it they are out and everyone is jealous. With this low morale among employees the ship of England Logistics will sink. All it would take to bring this company down is for employees to walk out and protest. No account managers…. no company.

Advice to Management

Don't just open up jobs for employees to apply for and present business plans and then steal their ideas and hire outside people and hope they can lead. There are positives about the company, build on those…. Share the revenue with your employees. Consider giving a decent bonus at the end of the year. Lastly, get better operating systems.

Other Employee Reviews for England Logistics

"High Turnaround call center, no pay increases for those that stick around."

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at England Logistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Long hours, weekends, nights. Management over promises and under delivers. What could be better?

Cons

Long hours, weekends, nights. No raises. When asking for a raise they tell you to give yourself a raise. Managers do not have you back when in need for help. They promise the world and don't deliver. Managers and Execs praise how great the company is doing but wont give you a dime.

Advice to Management

Give raises to your productive employees. You want them to be productive for your company not actively seeking new employment.

"Teenage company with some great potential"

Former Employee - Logistics Coach in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Logistics Coach in West Valley City, UT

I worked at England Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is very performance driven, and rewards accordingly. They are accomplishing some great things, and continue to make progress in the industry.

There are some really great and talented people that work for this company. I enjoyed my interactions with many of them. Jim Monkmeyer is a stand-up guy, and brings a lot to the company.

They have some pretty cool events and shwag that get much of the company involved and getting to know each other. They exhibit a lot of fun ideas to build the culture.

The industry is fast moving with a lot of opportunity. EL has the ability to make some things happen, and it will be exciting to see what they can accomplish.

Cons

There really is not much training and development being done for the employees and managers. There are a lot of new managers/directors there, and they do not get an ample opportunity to learn leadership skills. I saw this happen with the Directors I worked with, and I was also not given a day of training before taking on the management of 2 teams. I think that they are really missing the mark with this, and lose a lot of talent out the doors of people that this new leadership is supposed to be managing. Investing in this would more than pay for itself. From a Lean standpoint, this is probably a lot more costly than they realize.

From the first day I was there I noticed, and was told time and time again from each team I managed that they were scared on a daily basis of losing their job. I think that there is a common theme in the reviews you read here, and they coincide with a reality of the culture of fear that exists. EL is doing a lot to work on this, but this is a large obstacle to overcome.

Advice to Management

I think you could benefit greatly by hiring a consulting company to examine many parts of the business operations. You already have a great brand in a great industry, as well as some very talented employees.

I would liken the company to an awkward teenage stage. Some tremendous early growth propelled it past infancy fairly quickly, and now it is still growing into itself. Take the opportunity to grow full-strength.