England Logistics - This is a recession busting, energetic company. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for England Logistics

"This is a recession busting, energetic company."

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at England Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am a former Senior Account Manager in the vaunted and much talked about full truck load division. I have been with England for several years. There is plenty of opportunity to sell their product, success can be easily be achieved if you do these simple things. Start each day as a challenge, expect things will go wrong and communicate and manage through the obstacles. Have a can do attitude!
 A hard working Senior account manager will earn between $55,000 and $75,000 a year. The relationships that you will build at England should be amazing. My best friends are all there or recently left. The business environment is a lot like a sporting event, the energy and intensity is great. The leadership at England in our division does there best to support you and maintain you. My compliments, thanks to the 2 Senior Logistics Coaches, the Director of the Division and the CEO. The leadership does what they can to recognize everyone who sets records. they provide a yearly trip to Mexico all expenses paid for those sales people who are the best. it is an amazing experience for you and the wife!

Cons

There is a lot of stress with this job. it is a non-stop effort to make sure everything gets picked up, all appointments are made, and everything is delivered safely. the stress is enormous and grinding.

Advice to Management

Consider having a division above senior managers, that allow for a better pay opportunity and whose position is more professional based. to many great employees have left lately.

My only regret is I did not find this job earlier. My advice to you out there who are looking for a sales job. If you want to see if you can challenge yourself on a daily basis, then go for it. You wont regret it. They give you the tools to be successful.

Other Employee Reviews for England Logistics

"Worst job I ever had!"

Current Employee - Capacity Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Capacity Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at England Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun coworkers. They got me through.

Cons

This job was the worst. They had me working 70-80 hour weeks with no overtime. They would take my carrier off a load and ruin a long-standing relationship just to make an extra $10. Then when that carrier didn't want to work with them again, they'd wonder why. It amazed me! Do yourself a favor and don't bother working here! You'll regret it if you do.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like humans instead of machines or cattle.

"Dead End"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at England Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will work with lots of good people.

Cons

I don't even know where to start- First off, you will be under constant stress to make 100 phone calls a day. In the beginning this is fine because you need to build your book of business, but over time there are better ways of doing business than making cold call after cold call. Management likes to tell you that you are your own boss and can manage your time but they are constantly looking over your shoulder even when you are killing it. I have never been babysat or "time copped" so much at a job and I was bringing in good money for the company.

You will have a weekly meeting where you can see how much money you are making for the company. You will hear how great you are but don't expect a raise. When I asked for a raise I was told that "raises aren't really something that we do here and to give myself a raise by bringing in more business." Management, take a look around your meetings and look at peoples faces; nobody wants to be there because they are tired of hearing how much money they make YOU while they get to dress down instead of getting a raise or a bonus. The company will buy you bagels or let you dress down to show their appreciation when you have all time highs. While these are nice gestures, lets be realistic: everyone is there to make money and support their family, so share the wealth. The benefits are decent but they are VERY expensive and I've never paid so much at any other job for benefits.

For this year England has implemented a training program called 4dx. The program is a complete waste of time and I don't know of one employee that can honestly say that they like the program or that it helps them be more productive.

Every sales job has its challenges, but be prepared to be on call 24/7 in this industry. The regular work schedule is from 7am-4pm. A couple of times a year you are expected to take an after hours phone for an entire week and are expected to answer the calls at ALL times. Don't expect to be paid for this even though you will be working overtime and you will also be required to come in that Saturday as well. Advice to management: hire more people for after hours, or, why don't YOU try taking the after hours phone and see how it goes?

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM: I have been in sales for over 10 years and never have I come across a company that paid you less the longer you were there even though you brought in more business. You have a NEVER ending sales ramp and after about 1 year it becomes impossible to hit your goal. The longer you are here, the harder it is to stay motivated. This is because even if you bring in more business you still won't hit your goal. Management knows that this ramp is a joke, but they obviously don't care to change it. They don't care to change it because they actually benefit from you not being able to get over 100%.
         This year about 7 senior account managers have left the company and they were very hard-working and the best employees. Management, how many good people do you have to lose before you realize your system is broken? I can't even count the number of people that have suggested that changes need to be made and have offered good alternatives. Nothing ever becomes of it. Management will usually respond with "we will look into that" or they will make a note on that employee's profile that they shouldn't be promoted.

Promotions: I am still in shock of how some of the people in upper management are there with their lack of knowledge of what really happens on the floor. Let me give you an example of the type of director that we look up to here: This director fell asleep in a board meeting with one of our clients and for some reason this person is celebrated and is a director? Last time I checked, I got in trouble for being on ESPN for 5 mins (during the World Cup), but it's ok for a director to fall asleep in a meeting? I guess this goes to show that if you are buddies with management it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you say yes and proceed as a robot.
         In my time there, I saw various people hired from the outside while the people on the inside of the company never even knew there was an opening or chance for promotion. Stop overlooking the people that are in the trenches- they could very well make the company better and be very good leaders. Just because someone doesn't agree with everything you say and has ideas for change doesn't make them a negative person.

Marketing: We have a marketing department but I'm still not sure what they do besides give us fun facts about upper management There is a system that generates leads but 90% of the leads we get from marketing are complete garbage.

Advice to Management

Change something with your ramp/commission structure. There are still good people at the company, but if something isn't done soon they will all be gone. Stop thinking that you can recycle accounts with new people. Sales are made and companies grow because of RELATIONSHIPS and if you don't treat your employees right how can you expect them to stay?

Trust your employees and stop micro-managing them. Happy employees work harder and won't quit. Stop blocking innocent internet sites- we are human (adults, not babies if you noticed) and it's ok to have fun and work. Take a survey and see how many people are looking for a new job and maybe this will open your eyes to make changes.