Enlightened - It's like riding a roller-coater. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Enlightened

"It's like riding a roller-coater."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

The people here are great to work with.
Management will give you ample opportunity to prove yourself.
Th projects are interesting and challenging.

Cons

Lack of communication from Executive Management.
PTO policy is less than ideal.
Executive Managemtn shows favoritism and does nothing to try and hide it.

Advice to Management

Keep your employees abreast of the changes and status of the company.
Do a better job of realizing negative corporate climate shifts.
Threats and uncomfortable working conditions do not breed creativity and success.

Other Employee Reviews for Enlightened

1. "My professional experience has been very gratifying."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Enlightened is a small "family friendly" environment. Employees have the opportunity to advance professionally if an interest is expressed and the ability to perform the task is demonstrated. It is a great place to work if you don't have a family and your career is your life.

Cons

Work/life balance is not a priority. Employees work extremely hard and are not rewarded for their efforts.

Advice to Management

Adopt the work-life balance philosophy. Consistently reward your employees by providing feedback, recognition for job performance, and annual reviews with salary increases.

2. "There is no other place I'd rather be than Enlightened and we all...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Enlightened full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

During my tenure at Enlightened, I have learned immensely by examples of leadership from provided by the executive management team, talented employees the company recruits and various procedures in place that raise your level of performance and overall product quality. Enlightened is truly an environment that breeds greatness.

I'm compelled to write a review after reading a plethora of Glassdoor responses posted about Enlightened and that resemble similar reviews I’ve read from other successful companies. What I've seen is a pattern. The pattern errs to the "Yelp" model. People only take the time (are motivated) to post a comment if they don't like how things have panned out for them albeit their own doing or etc. Most people are who are genuinely satisfied with an experience or circumstance rarely take time to compose a message
    The wonderful things this company has done for people is often never spoken about. Words are never mentioned sometimes due to the level of entitlement or simply taking acts of kindness for granted. I've seen this company rescue MULTIPLE companies from closing shop by carrying costs, providing financial support and leveraging corporate resources. I've seen the executives of this company donate thousands of dollars to youth/organizations over the years in the form of scholarships and gifts.

The leadership at Enlightened has a HUGE heart for people and humanity which many people cannot echo about their own company/leadership or even themselves. This compassion showed is OFTEN taken advantage of and for granted. In times where fellow employees were going through hardships such as sickness, loss of a relative, , divorce, arrests, eviction, depression, exhaustion and the harsh experiences life provides; senior leadership did not pass it off to HR or to a manager, they stepped to help, give paid time off or even show up to be present. That is true leadership. Please take this into context; executives who are responsible for the success of a multi-million-dollar organization still find it important to tend to the personal matters of individual employees. This is something that I have never seen in my decades as a professional across multiple industries. But these things never go recognized because of the nature of the generosity or privacy of the matter.
    I've read many comments on here that err to the side of spoiled children, entitled grownups and short sided employees who cannot digest the vision, perspective and nuances of growing a small minority owned business in the nation's capital. The many strategic moves, partnerships and misunderstood internal decisions that transpire from day to day would leave some people to feeling disenfranchised, out of the loop or sometimes confused but having run a business, I understand this is the nature of being an owner. All decisions will not be understood by everyone, even those in the company.

As minority owners, respectfully, they have navigated well in an industry where their counterparts have unspoken advantages that provides head starts, baseline favors and an automatic seat at the table. With that said, many decisions made by executives are in response to raising the bar of performance, quality and output in an industry that has many antagonists including, disgruntled employees, elected officials, competing companies and people with bad intentions.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown is the best statement that sums up the CEO and CFO. The value of their leadership is not loss on many of its employees around the country and outside of this country. Running a company is not like running a "project" or a "contract". It's a much more sophisticated, complex and a dynamic experience that will confuse those on the outside looking in. Running a project and being responsible for a team CAN NEVER parallel the responsibility/pressure of growing a business, being responsible for the livelihood of people and making tough decisions on a daily (7 days a week).

Many comments I've read hearken to the adage of those who feel they can do a better job than those in power but never take the chance to see what it is like to start, grow and sustain a business. Let's be crystal clear, running someone else's company from the seat of "President" isn't the same as being the CEO or CFO or having true ownership in the company. A project manager, a President and a manager at headquarters in no way shape or from mirrors, parallels or is remotely like running an entire company.

That is the main issue that prevails within these comments. There are people who romanticize the experience of the CEO/CFO without truly knowing what it takes to be one. The sacrifices, the long nights, the growing pains, the impact to personal relationships and tribulations that come with it all while trying to be everything to everyone in the company is a feat most people can’t comprehend.

So if you're reading this message, know that the CEO/CFO are great upstanding men who had a dream, invested in that dream and are daily involving others in that dream by providing great jobs, great experiences and life changing moments. We work hard here by function of how hard our leadership works. We grow here because our leadership pushes us outside of our comfort zone. We learn immensely here because we are competing with the large firms who have been in existence for decades and the only way to win is to know more and perform at a higher standard than our competitors.

There is no other place I'd rather be than Enlightened and we all (in every state where a contract is name to Enlightened) are grateful for the experience to provide for our families, be a part of a great dream and work for a company with great values/ethics.

Cons

The only con is that there aren't more companies who genuinely demand greatness from their employees. This makes it hard when every employer before takes BS excuses, sub par performance and charges mistakes to being human. When people come to Enlightened, they are shocked that greatness can be achieved by being meticulous, process oriented and err on the side of assuming your'e wrong so that you can challenge your own quality, thus increasing the quality of your product/brand.

This is the root of why some people have issue with Enlightened. The bar is much higher.

Advice to Management

Continue to evolve into the company you dreamed of when you first started and continually apply lessons learned in every corner of the company.