Enterprise - Big Green Machine. Not a bad place to be. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Enterprise

"Big Green Machine. Not a bad place to be."

Current Employee - Management Assistant in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Management Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Enterprise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PROS
- Your branches' employees and the environment. The people you work with WILL make the experience.
- The ease of relocating to different state (transferring from Group to Group)
- Benefits Package (medical, dental, etc.)
- The customer service, marketing, people skills, and sales experience you learn is immeasurable.
- Employee Referral/Car sale bonuses. Depending on Group: $1000-$2000, and $100-300 respectively
- Many career opportunities outside of Daily Rental.
- Internal positions are constantly opening up (either through promotions or people leaving the company).

Overall, the company isn't bad for a recent grad. It's all there you just have to be okay with low pay, seriously driven, and willing to put in the long hours (for AT LEAST a year).

Cons

CONS
- Low pay ($11-13/hr)...Roughly $30,000 annual gross pay
- Strictly performance based/sales position BUT no sales incentives or commission pay
- Long hours 47-50/week. (Mon-Fri, 10 hr/day)
- Turnover/Retention rate
- Young/"Not-quite-ready" management
- New pay plans for Assistant Managers
- Best positions where the work you do is proportional (or better) to your pay would be a Management Assistant, Branch Manager, or Area Manager.
- "Work/life balance" is seriously non-existent. For example, they make sure you reach your 47-50 hours (depending on group), but your schedule is extremely inconsistent and dependent on what works for the Branch. If you work a Saturday, you'll "FLEX" i.e. come in for 2-3 hrs during a day in the week then leave. So basically working 6days/week. Difficult to justify if your commute is >35-40min.

Overall, the pay and time put in used to be worth it when you could make up for the low pay in clocking a lot of overtime hours. At those times, I didn't mind the lack of social life because the paychecks made up for it. It goes without saying that a good portion of Groups and Branches are understaffed, underpaid, overworked.

Advice to Management

Many great core philosophies and Founding Values within this company. I'd recommend that they are actually utilized. Retention seems to be a new up-and-coming priority. I think the 3 main reasons behind the high turnover is that the "work/life balance" is non-existent, employee development is emphasized at the "Stages" not in the branch, and that employees inevitably begin to lack the "buy-in" they once had in orientation. The Recruiting/HR department are choosy in the hiring process, as they should be. The issue isn't the ability to get worthy applicants, it's retaining the ones that make it, see Enterprise as great, but lack the employee development from management that was emphasized.

Train Branch managers in creating the “buy-in” environment. Happy employees yield happy customers which in turn make for a great business. Aside from the email surveys, I'd recommend actually having a focus-group type session during an MT’s 4-7 month period. Not for employees to complain, but to offer constructive viewpoints on the development, operations, etc. Also, making the test a little bit more difficult to pass (but also FULLY preparing) would serve as a greater benefit than passing mediocre performing employees and then having them pass traits on to new MTs.

Other Employee Reviews for Enterprise

1. "They work you like a dog, but if you love people you'll love the job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Enterprise full-time

Pros

interaction with all different types of people

Cons

washing cars in the summer in a tie

Advice to Management

zero tolerance rules are ignorant

"The best internship I could have asked for"

Former Intern - Management Trainee Intern in Deer Park, NY
    Former Intern - Management Trainee Intern in Deer Park, NY

I worked at Enterprise as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

All of my co-workers went out of there way to explain every part of my position. I never felt uncomfortable asking questions and they made sure I was fully prepared for a task before they had me do it.

Cons

If you are not good at sales there's no way to get promoted.
    Also my co-workers were awesome but other interns I spoke to did not have the same experience.