Enterprise - Hard work. You get what you put in. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Enterprise

"Hard work. You get what you put in."

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Management Trainee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Enterprise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. They are all about employee development. Great step stone for your career.

Cons

You will put in 50 hours a week. Work/life balance get tough at times.

Other Employee Reviews for Enterprise

1. "Disappointing."

Former Employee - Managment-assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Managment-assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Enterprise full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are willing to work hard and make the right friends the sky is the limit.

Cons

Due to the economic downturn the company has cut jobs in a lot of places making upward mobility much slower than it was in the past. I joined in 2006 when every branch, area and regional manager was quick to tell their story about how fast they got promoted and how much they are making. At that time most area managers were in and out in under 2 years, a new employee could expect to be a branch manager with a company car and making commission off their branch by the end of year 2 or 3. There just isn't enough opportunity to give to the amount of entry level employees that are required to run the company efficiently. In order to get college grads to show up and wash cars, pick up/drop off customers for 50+ hours/week, the carrot at the end of the stick was the opportunity to get promoted higher in rental or pursue a career in an area like human resources, loss control, car sales etc... With the consolidation of a lot of those areas the only upward mobility is through rental which means every entry level employee is competing for the same opening when they do come about. When I first joined, there were usually openings for management positions about every 3 months due to managers being promoted. By the time I left, most openings were due to employees resigning or being cut for performance reasons. My branch had one porter when I left who worked 3 days/week. That meant that Monday mornings, our busiest time, we had the extra bonus of washing and vacuuming the cars that we needed to rent to customers. I was always willing to help out with washing cars but once they told us that it was our responsibility and they had no intentions of hiring on an extra person, who were paid minimum wage with no benefits, it was apparent that the company did not want to invest in their own people. They used the economy to justify cutting employees regardless of the fact that their was only one quarter in the Chicago area where the company did not turn a profit. I felt guilty about taking vacation days that I earned because all of the branches in the area were staffed at a level where they could just get by servicing their customers. I think the company values are great, it does not seem like the management has much intention of living up to them. I give the benefit of the doubt to people like the CEO Andy Taylor because much of what he says does make Enterprise sound like a place I would love to work. It is great that they give management a lot of autonomy to run their designated are as they wish. Unfortunately they are guided solely by the numbers and if you don't like it they act as if you are not cut out for the job. It becomes much like a fraternity where people spend a lot of time comparing numbers and bragging about themselves.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to see more investment into your branches. With most managers jumping at the first opportunity for promotion inside or outside the company and the pressure to always beat the previous years numbers, I don't think any managers have the incentive to do that.

2. "Work hard, play hard, generously compensated for hard work"

I have been working at Enterprise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation if you are willing to learn and put in the work you will go far. Supportive management at all levels interested in helping you advance your career. Great benefits, including company car at the branch manager level and above.

Cons

Long hours, must be willing to relocate. Not the job for you if you are not willing to work hard and be berated by customers with an inflated sense of entitlement.