Environmental Defense - Fun, intellectual, energetic place to work where everyone is passionate about what they do. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Environmental Defense

"Fun, intellectual, energetic place to work where everyone is passionate about what they do."

Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

Pros

The Fun Committee, The annual all staff retreat, Working with some of the smartest and most hard working people around (definitely no slackers), Being part of a great machine working towards an awesome social cause, Being part of an ethical company that values employees, And the fact that EDF is growing provides great opportunity for creating your own career path. Also EDF alumni go off to do some great things.

Cons

With rapid growth some folks are let into the org and they don't necessarily have a passion for the environment but rather a passing interest. This sort of dilutes the passion-factor a little. Also some folks are promoted to manager status when they're not fully equipped to manage people.

Advice to Management

You'll have less turn over from the younger generation if there were more set career paths that allow people to advance professionally in a systematic way.

Other Employee Reviews for Environmental Defense

"Summer Internship - A great opportunity if you seek out your own challenges"

Former Employee - Research Intern (Summer) in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Research Intern (Summer) in Austin, TX

Pros

The Austin office has experts from a variety of backgrounds, including biology, engineering, economics, business, geology, and law. The office is very laid back (especially in the summer, I'm told) and work hours are flexible. Once you demonstrate that you are a serious employee, there are great opportunities to take on a prominent role in research. I was able to attend City Council hearings and meetings with other environmental groups, and my research was regularly used on official EDF business. Best of all, nearly everyone is friendly and engaging. I developed several valuable connections that have lead to promising job prospects--and not just in Austin. Highly recommended (especially at $12/hour)!

Cons

As a motivated and passionate person, the office was sometimes too laid back for my tastes. I found myself doing more work than some of my "bosses" on some occasions--not because I was told to work harder, but because they weren't as dedicated to producing results as myself. Also, make sure you actively try to seek out work that interests you. When I first arrived, they would have been more than happy to give me somewhat brainless tasks to be completed in my little office for the duration of the summer. But because I pushed and nagged until I got work that was engaging, they were more than happy to comply. I got the sense that the full-time employees didn't trust interns to be effective and dedicated, but once I proved to them that I was capable, they shoveled over a great deal of responsibility.

Advice to Management

Work your interns harder. I know many students sign up for an easy summer internship, but there is no reason you should humor them. EDF is working on a lot of important issues, and there are many engaging experts at the Austin office, so there is no excuse for interns not to spend the summer learning and working hard. Everyone benefits.

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Environmental Defense full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, fancy offices, intelligent people, some are really nice and care about their work and the environment.

Cons

Where do I start?
    - HR is a mess and your enemy. Beware. I hear they fired the whole department and things are shifting, hopefully for good.
    - Inequality at all levels, inside and outside: disparity in compensations between upper management and junior level is outrageous. Your boss will make more than double, and his/her boss the same, up the chain.. This is combined with little room for promotions and development internally. Outside? EDF chooses to work with and for conservatives, white, and privileged folks.
    - Some mid-level managers are well intended, but they lack the training to manage. They have no idea how to do it and its a shame. Again, this goes back to HR.