Environmental Science Associates - Good company, must pave your own way | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Environmental Science Associates

"Good company, must pave your own way"

Current Employee - Associate
Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Environmental Science Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small knit firm, very knowledgeable staff, pay is relatively well compared to other comparable firms, longevity with minimal turnover, ESOP program for employees

Cons

limited training and unstable project management, difficult to determine company direction at times, workload can be monotonous, high cost of benefits, growing presence of more corporate ladders

Advice to Management

Need for more training for junior-level staff, more transparency between staff and corporate, need to improve professional development and learn to grow the company from within, as opposed to hiring more top-heavy staff

Other Employee Reviews for Environmental Science Associates

"Workplace bullies"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Environmental Science Associates part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally flexible about where/when you do your work. Will let you go part time. Interesting work when there is work.

Cons

Cruel management. Lack of advancement potential. Demand that you are billable and then do not provide you with work. Berate workers when times are slow. Unwillingness to get rid or poor managers. When they had the opportunity to hire someone with real business experience as COO a few years ago, they went with an ineffectual dimwit from within instead. Predictably, the company isn't doing well. Not that that is stopping ESA from hiring top level people nonstop. They are labeled "strategic hires" as if it is somehow strategic to be top-heavy. And then, of course, there is nowhere for any of the lower level people to go. Every day I work here I lose a little part of my soul. The days are so slow since there is no work. I am absolutely miserable here. I wouldn't wish working here on my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Develop your staff. Your junior level staff is miserable. Seriously. We hate it here. The second the market gets even the least bit better, everyone is going to flee.

"Don't get too comfortable"

Former Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Environmental Science Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Nice office (In Los Angeles)
    Small office
    Easy to get friendly and close with co-workers
    If you work on enough good projects you can add loads of experience to a resume
    Was my first job where I got a bonus check

Cons

They don't invest as much in their employees as they may say. In fact , they year I was there the main guy chastised the bosses in on our office for spending money to send Associates to seminars and trainings.

I believe there are a lot of office politics at work. I wasn't always one to hang with co-workers during lunch and happy hour after work, so I think that attributed to me being let go.

If they don't have work, then you don't have work. And if you aren't working (billable) then you aren't of use. You must constantly ask for work to do.

No direct training to help new associates understand their place in the company and to really understand how their processes work.

After talking with my boss a few times, he said that they were interested in investing in their employees to raise in the ranks. Maybe he was misled also, but I didn't see that happening at all. People are too busy at times to help bring you up, so you may have to do it on your own.

In short, don't be lulled into a false sense of security. A woman I know who left there said "Almost everyday I went to work, I thought I might get fired."

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees.
    Stop using the facade of niceness and care. At the end of the day you run like a corporation. Just because you work related to the environment doesn't make you automatically a good, "caring" company.