Cover image for Epic

Current Employee, more than 1 year

Interesting and Exciting Non-Remote Workplace

Aug 11, 2022 - Software Developer in Verona, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are great. Everyone I work with is friendly and helpful! As a software developer, the work is interesting and challenging. The roles that are less customer-facing (like software developers and quality managers) still get to interact with customers during immersion trips out to customer sites where we get to observe real people using the software and talk to them about what is and isn't working. I didn't really appreciate it until I went on my first immersion trip but after having been on one, I think that all software shops should consider incorporating immersion trips into their developers' jobs. The campus is beautiful and there is definitely a benefit to being able to talk a quick walk around to reset or give your mind a break. The food at the Verona headquarters is delicious and affordable. Epic is fairly well known, so if you ever need to leave Epic for one reason or another, you will still be very employable. Epic is a very large company with most of its staff in Verona, WI so if you don't like the team you are on, it's possible to request a team transfer (though obviously it's not guaranteed that a transfer will happen).

Cons

Internal documentation isn't always the most up to date or easy to find. If you want to regularly work from home, this is not the place for you. As mentioned in the Pros section, Epic is a very large company. As much as the leadership would like a consistent experience throughout the company, Epic is a company made up of people, and people are different from each other. Some people mesh well and others don't, regardless of how good of a people they are. The quality of one's experience at Epic (and likely any company) will be heavily influenced by one's Team Lead and to a lesser extent one's coworkers. This is great if you have a great TL and coworkers (as I do), but can be problematic if you get placed under or alongside people who you don't mesh with as well. People on LinkedIn see that you work at Epic and flood you with requests regardless of whether you specify that you aren't looking for job opportunities. Seriously, if you get a job at Epic, consider deactivating your LinkedIn account.

Continue reading
    15 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Nice

Feb 1, 2023 - Software Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice company to work for

Cons

No cons I can think of

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good first job, then leave

Jan 16, 2023 - Software Developer in Verona, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Many seductive benefits, good food, 6-figure starting salary as a software dev, moving stipend (although be aware that state taxes will reduce a 15k stipend to under 10k). Relatively ok to be openly LGBTQ.

Cons

Exploits fresh-out-of-college workers with impressive propaganda. Will slowly boil the frog until you're working 70-80 hours a week. This company does a great job of looking like it cares about you, but if that were the case they wouldn't have taken binding arbitration agreements to the Supreme Court. If you decide to work here, plan to leave in about 2 years.

5 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Epic.

Epic Careers

Cover image for Epic

The work you’ll do saves lives. Epic employees work hard every day to create and install software that improves the wellbeing of millions...More

• Join Our Team
  • Paid Sabbatical
  • Interviewing
  • Culture

Epic Photos

+ Add Photo
Epic photo of: Making advancements in mobile health IT
Epic photo of: Epic Culinary team prepping food for the Epicnic 2018.
Epic photo of: Madison has been consistently ranked one on the top US cities for biking. At Epic we offer on campus showers and bikes racks to accommodate our bike-loving commuters.
Epic photo of: Great spaces for a bit of relaxation
Epic photo of: Customers gathering at Epic's campus for the annual User's Group Meeting
Epic photo of: Everyone works from shared or individual offices
Epic photo of: Epic