Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) - Good place to start out | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin)

"Good place to start out"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Verona, WI
Current Employee - Project Manager in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You're surrounded by young, bright people who are all pretty much in the same boat as you if you're coming out of college. It's a bright and shiny place with lots of perks, good salary, and you build useful, marketable skills.

Cons

The travel can be rough, you're likely to burn out in the first couple years, and you feel like you're a part of a huge company with team leads that play favorites. If you don't suck up and stand out in the beginning, it's very hard to climb your way to the top.

Advice to Management

Give less team members to TLs and make sure people are getting enough attention. Recognize when people are stressed out and fairly distribute work.

Other Employee Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin)

"Decent job for recent grads, but not a place for a long-term career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time

Pros

-Good pay for recent grads. I would even say that most people here start out overpaid, given their lack of real marketable skills. You don't need any technical skills to be hired for most positions.
    -Great food and casual work environment.
    -If you are a recent grad and have no idea what you want to do with your career, don't worry. You're in the same boat as 99% of the other new hires.

Cons

-Lack of career development opportunities.
    -If you don't like programming, the work you do will be extremely boring. Regardless of position, chances are that most of your work will involve staring at either code/text or navigating the horrible Epic UI. There's a reason Epic invests so much time and money in the campus - to try to retain employees despite the fact that the actual work here is dull and uninspiring.
    -Epic will try to convince you that you are special and that they only hire the best of the best. If I recall correctly, they actually say that they only give offers to a fraction of a percent of applicants, a statistic that I'm highly skeptical about. Most people here are intelligent but untalented, yet Epic will make it sound as if it is on par with the likes of Google, Amazon, etc.
    -If you view Epic a sort of stepping stone towards something else, you'll be disappointed. Most tools used here are internal or obscure, meaning you won't gain any of the technical skills that other top companies desire.
    -I'm not sure if it's Epic or just the nature of the EMR industry, but there is very little innovation in the software.

"An all-too-easy place to be stuck"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management with farsighted plans, no needless crushing or controlling policies, that takes social responsibility issues pretty seriously. Whimsical campus (sadly, that fades into the perceptual background pretty fast, but it keeps popping back up as a plus too) and delicious food. Many bright and engaging coworkers. There is a ratrace, but participation is strictly optional (in fact, not really an option in the QA role).
    QA is the lowest-stress role, hours 40-42/wk, 50 max in stressful moments.

Cons

Epic will tell you they're special, different from other companies, etc. They have a tendency to exaggerate their good deeds and policies, and there are many people around who swallow it uncritically. If you are bored by white and Asian yuppies, you'll find yourself very sad here.
    Specific to the QA role, pay is low and increases slowly, and the role is not really respected by other roles. The chances of transitioning the work you do from boring things to interesting things is pretty low- odds are you'll test software day in and day out as long as you stay at the company.
    Specific to me, I am infected with Generation Y special yuppie-ism. It is a lifelong and incurable infection. I studied beautiful and interesting things in college, and only came here after a year of failed applications to more interesting jobs, with the knowledge that grad school is a horrific economic trap. I despise testing software, my motivation levels fall and fall, and I probably will not be able to hold my job here much longer. If you are a more hardworking person than I, you may last longer, but your attitude will steadily get grimmer. If you are more like me and unable to beat yourself into doing boring things day in and day out, you will probably end up one of Epic's demoralized and ineffective liberal arts grad QAers who thought they were above doing a job robots will one day be able to do, and whether you're invited to leave will depend solely on the whim of your immediate manager.

Advice to Management

I'm sure you get a lot of more generally applicable advice from better writers than me. So I'll stick to an issue specific to me: be warned, intelligence tests and looking at people's college records won't warn you that some people's heads are just irredeemably in the clouds, no amount of doing a little good or having a little fun or making a little money will pull them down. The work to be done does not line up with human interests. You would be wise to inform yourself with this fact before the desperate battle you face in motivating your employees.
    Also, get over yourselves/get some perspective. You're good at what you do, but so are many people. You got lucky. Many people equally talented are your underlings, their talents kept in check by the endless supply of mindless things they have to do.