Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) - Good company, but you're a number | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin)

"Good company, but you're a number"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI
Former Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart People
Flexible Hours
Great Salary
Work is Interesting
Great on a Resume

Bottom line, the company is what you make of it. If you're honest and forthcoming about what you want you can make a great career at the company.

Cons

* Poor Morale - There is high turnover for implementation due to the workloads and people not knowing how to manage their time. This bleeds to other areas of the company.
* VB6 - Enough said
* Managers - Some managers are better than others. I've had fantastic ones, and I've had mediocre ones.
* Winter is coming
* "Stock Options" are a joke (vest after 5 years, only get appreciation rights)
* They've been improving in processes but expect some new hurdle to jump through every couple of months to get your work done. It sucks, but some do actually work. A stupid one recently was a metric to get development into QA within 10 days of it being marked as complete. I've had logs where the quickest that was possible would be 100 hours of linear time.

Advice to Management

Vet your TLs more consistently. I feel like a commodity to some team leaders and a valuable asset to others. Work on improving morale and retention. Allow people to move teams easier. Stop wasting people's time with hurdles, because not everything can be captured in a metric.

Other Employee Reviews for Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin)

"QA at Epic: shaping healthcare for the country and the world"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It’s challenging and rewarding. And there are many opportunities to find a niche and pursue projects which you enjoy. You work closely with developers and have a great deal of influence starting with the design of the software and ending when it is released to our clients. If you see opportunities to improve processes or business operations, people are open to them and you are given a chance to work on implementing your idea. You will work with outstanding people.

Cons

It can be challenging to stay current on how the software is changing, which impacts what you decide to test, and there are times where multiple urgent projects come up. Having a good team leader who can help redistribute projects or renegotiate deadlines makes a big difference.

Advice to Management

Make the retention information available to all staff and update at least once a year.

"Set your own limits and this place will be great for you."

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits and fair pay. They hire smart people which means you rarely have to deal with incompetence. You're given a lot of responsibility from the start and you have flexibility with how you approach your work.

Cons

Epic will take as much as you give. You can never rely on management to tell you to slow down--the expectation is that you dedicate yourself to your career and every project has to be done to the absolute best of your ability. Work-life balance is pretty much nonexistent if you don't set limits for yourself.

Advice to Management

Careful with how much pressure you put on your team members. Yeah, we're capable of a lot and you should have high expectations, but remember that we need lives outside of Epic, too.