Equinox Fitness - Shrouded in top of the line education and self reward, it's still a business to provide profits to the executives. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Equinox Fitness

"Shrouded in top of the line education and self reward, it's still a business to provide profits to the executives."

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in New York, NY

I have been working at Equinox Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have a chance to make your own schedule. Though this is some what limited due to needing to be available to clients. Productivity bonuses for doing lots of sessions. Decent health benefits.

Cons

Little opportunity to be recognized for anything other than productivity. Which translates to if you aren't a major contributor to revenue, then you might as well be a fly on the wall.

Advice to Management

Remember that people can be your biggest asset and provide more incentive for people to shine. Beautiful real-estate and the bottom line aren't the only things that matter.

Other Employee Reviews for Equinox Fitness

1. "Kids Club Associate"

Current Employee - Kids Club Associate in Coral Gables, FL
    Current Employee - Kids Club Associate in Coral Gables, FL

I have been working at Equinox Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Atmosphere
    Free Membership
    Nice Gym
    Nice Clientele
    Famous Faces

Cons

Low Pay.... Doubt the pay will even increase :(

Advice to Management

Great Management!

"If you like a clean gym that operates a step above slavery come here."

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in New York, NY

I have been working at Equinox Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a trainer it has the best educational system for a trainer of any skill level, you'll find something new to learn from outside educators they bring in. However these educators are some of the best doctors, scientists and scholars in the New York City area.

Cons

Pay = They pay a floor trainer $8 an hour while Tier 1s start at $23 an hour (mind you they get $95 for this trainer from member) Tier 2 is $34.50 an hour (they take $105 from member) Tier 3 they pay $46 and get $120 for your skills. So in short the take is poor. Use them for their education and leave is what most trainers do.
    Business Management - They don't care if trainers need more clients, their idea to boost business is bring on board more people(trainers) and reach the income goal of the company not of the trainer. I'd say even in January 50% of Equinox trainers are not where they want to be with income because the gym is over-saturated with Trainers.
    Management = The managers they had pick all have sh1tty attitudes and mentally haven't developed a maturity level that is greater then a popular 16 year old in high school. Either you have to be a @$$ kisser with them or you have to go and hang out with them to get a "qualified lead." otherwise you better be a darn good salesman (this was how i survived, yes you survive here its rare to thrive here).
    I also know for a fact that people who have applied for management have been turned down cause they are 'too nice'. This bothers me to the point where I have to mention it. When I learned this fact I realize they only put poor quality people in these management positions, I guess that's why people always complain about the managers on Yelp.com . They probably have to hire them corrupt just so they match upper management's value system or just don't out shine them.
    I've had to deal with issues with the members myself more then half the time because they have a very hands off attitude with customer service.
    Upper Management is mostly underqualified to run a gym with their "leaders" having degrees from Film School, Liberal Arts Degrees, former bankers, etc. You have 1 or 2 good people but the rest of them I wouldn't trust to run my business. I believe from this lack of quality leadership steams alot of the other issues this club has.
    Remember a business is only as good as the people (or goons) you have running it.
    My honest opinion is with all their flaws it would be easy for a group of people to do what the management at Equinox is doing only better. Management makes enemies with staff and members frequently enough, never see this any where else. It wouldn't surprise me when a legit competitor comes out of no where, comes in and knocks Equinox off the throne as the kings of luxury gyms.