Equinox Fitness - Administrative Assistant | Glassdoor

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

No cons to discuss at this time

Other Employee Reviews for Equinox Fitness

"It was a love / hate relationship with my job at Equinox"

Former Employee - Membership Advisor in Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Membership Advisor in Greenwich, CT

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The upside is, if you are a truly great salesperson, you will get a lot of enjoyment out of selling a great brand that you believe in. You get to workout for free, as you will get a free membership to all the clubs. You get amazing discounts on everything in the clothing shop as well as the health spa. Great ways to sell more product by knowing how to sell it by personal experience. The shop sells more because members can see what it looks like on, by you wearing it to work. The atmosphere is a fun one! There are great people who work there and the music is always playing great tunes, even BEFORE you hear them on the radio.

Cons

The challenges are, that once you have sold memberships for that particular month, management doesn't allow you that extra time with your members to properly "on-board" them. So you feel as if you have created a nice connection with this person and were there every step of the way, until they joined and then you were off trying to get more sales for the next month. It is a bad business plan. You create a trust with this person and then you just cannot spend time with them. There are a lot of times when the "rules" are changed all of a sudden for that particular sale. One person can "give" this with membership or sell a certain way, while others cannot do the same. Management has you create a lot of broken promises just to get the sale. You will get a lot of the management saying "you are the best, you are the hero, you are our best salesperson here!" Yet, the next month, if you don't have a sale right away, it turns into "what are we doing wrong here, why did you do it this way, have you called the person, let's sit down and practice" It is the most bizarre way to manage. They manage by fear rather than by praise

Advice to Management

My advice would be to hire someone where there only job is the on-board new members. Almost like a concierge, you introduce this person during your walk-through and the member knows that if there are any questions they have, no matter how big or small, they can go to this person to help them. Management certainly doesn't have the time to do that with all the new members from month-to -month. Goodness knows Equinox has the money to hire this kind of person. Change up the old school management style. Management now is taught to manage based on fear, rather than manage based on praise. I truly believe you will have a much happier employee that way, and in turn, a happy person will produce more. Keep the rules the same always as far as salespeople and the "up" system. That can create a lot of animosity with the sales team when one is favored more than another. The management always favors one over another and I have been in th favorites chair and it doesn't feel good because you just know it's wrong to your teammates. Also, with all the money that Equinox has, they should reconsider how much they pay their salespeople. You put in at least 50+ hours a week and the pay structure should mirror that. The exceptional sales people should get more commission per sale and all should get more commission period. Also on a one year contract that you reactivate after a year, the commission should be the same as a new sale.

"Aside from some management issues, I enjoyed working there"

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Equinox Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upbeat atmosphere to work in. Most of the employees are positive and helpful. The members truly make it worth it; I received life advice, career input, and side employment from several of them.

Cons

Inter-department communication is terrible! And employee satisfaction is not a main priority. They do not really promote within the company, unless it is to be a personal trainer. I've heard from other employees, members, and I too now agree, Equinox is more of a stepping stool to something else. If you are not a trainer, the salary is very low.

Advice to Management

Make your loyal employee's feel more valued. Promote doing the best, and being the best at what you do, not just merely doing the task at hand with minimal effort.