Cover image for Equity Residential

Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Culture...Poor Senior Management

Aug 30, 2016 -  in Alexandria, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

EQR hires great people who fit the "10 way" culture. People are fun to work with and EQR encourages team work. EQR is great at hiring people who love what they do and want to make a difference to the residents. If you have a great manager - your life will be much easier and you will enjoy working there. Great apt discount.

Cons

Large disconnect between HQ in Chicago and regional offices. Seems HQ (2N) does not truly understand how the changes they consistently implement can reflect so much pressure on lower level employees. Like most large companies, money is giving to senior level employees while the leasing/service teams make little next to nothing even though they bring in the revenue. Pressure to promote too fast therefore unqualified managers in roles. Internal promotion system is not fair to all employees.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful

Equity Residential Response

Operations Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad that you connected with your coworkers and your direct manager, and that you felt and identified with our “10 Ways” culture. However, we are sorry to hear your thoughts on senior leadership and the larger corporate culture. We carefully review compensation packages every year to ensure that our ranges are competitive within the industry. We also opened up our transfer and promotion policy a couple of years ago, removing any barriers such as minimum time in position and opting to make promotion decisions solely based on performance and potential. We developed our Accelerate program this year to better prepare individuals for management positions. We hope that you took advantage of the opportunity to do an exit interview; if not, please feel free to contact Human Resources at 202-971-7088.

1. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Intern Review

Nov 6, 2022 - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great community and great people

Cons

Unclear assignments at some times.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Equity Residential Response

Thank you so much for the 5 star review! We appreciate you taking the time to reflect on your experiences as an Intern with us, and wish you the best of luck!

2. 3.0
    Current Employee

Advancement and development severely lacking

Nov 28, 2022 - Assistant Community Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong company culture and some great people.

Cons

Upper management does little in the way of promoting advancement and development opportunities. The portfolio is restructuring staffing, centralizing operations etc. in a way that takes away responsibilities and earning potential, rendering certain full-time roles almost irrelevant. This restructuring also limits advancement opportunities as managerial roles are extremely difficult to come by and competitive to earn.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Equity Residential.

Equity Residential Careers

Cover image for Equity Residential

Our Story In the early 1960s, two guys at the University of Michigan – Sam Zell and Bob Lurie – started managing student apartment...More

• Work With Us
  • Ten Ways
  • Benefits Overview
  • Equity Values

Equity Residential Photos

+ Add Photo
Equity Residential photo of: Our employees pride themselves on providing a remarkable leasing and living experience to our residents.
Equity Residential photo of: October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month — an annual event to educate and increase awareness. Equity teams wear pink to support and raise awareness.
Equity Residential photo of: The Equity team in Chicago had a blast visiting Chicago Animal Care and Control with Safe Humane.
Equity Residential photo of: The Chicago teams led interactive presentations to showcase all the different facets of technology at Equity!
Equity Residential photo of: Flora Apartments