Equity Residential - Good Company to work for but getting a little too corporate/cut-throat. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Equity Residential

"Good Company to work for but getting a little too corporate/cut-throat."

Former Employee - Senior Leasing Consultant in New York, NY
Former Employee - Senior Leasing Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great properties, coworkers and opportunity because the company is growing so rapidly. I enjoyed working there for 5 years and only left because my husband is military and we were relocating to a place without Equity.

Cons

Promotions are more based on who you know than merit. Many unqualified candidates got promoted over qualified ones because of who they went out drinking with after work. Also in the past couple of years the company has become more cut-throat and stopped seeing employees and residents as people due to corporate greed. Everyone is starting to feel like their jobs are not secure and thus looking outside Equity for employment.

Advice to Management

Sr. Management uses threats rather than advice/motivation to get results. Especially Regional Mgmt., Area Mgmt. and SVP's. I would advise Sr. Mgmt to listen to Jr. Mgmt on employee's effectiveness to avoid losing people that are assets.

Other Employee Reviews for Equity Residential

"Culture has changed"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No experience necessary to start in the field. A well established method and procedure. Great tools and resources to complete job.

Cons

Constantly defending performance to upper management. Customer service is just lip service.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and residents more than your metrics.

"Love it!"

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a great company that understands what it's like to be a parent and has great benefits. You get paid time off to take kids to first day of school! Just starting out employees get two weeks vacation and a week of sick time. I really enjoy working with my team and have enjoyed learning the Property Management field.

Cons

I have only been with Equity for a year and the only con I've seen so far is it can sometimes be difficult to advance within.