Cover image for Equity Residential

Former Employee, more than 1 year

Worst job I've ever had

Feb 5, 2020 - Service Tech
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is on the low level of acceptable but benefits and company discounts were pretty good

Cons

Equity will push incentives to have current employees leave positive reviews that they would not do otherwise. I had multiple female leasing agents confide in me about harassment they received from managers. Human resources has clearly never heard of the NLRB, and absolutely do not follow the law when it comes to treating and paying employees properly. At least 2 other people that I know have pursued legal action against Equity for things like unpaid wages, and I would have also but I just wanted to be done with the nightmare and never think about that place ever again. Management sleeping with other managers/vendors/residents is common. Service staff (maintenance/leasing) is held to a lower standard than management, as Equity has a "do as I say not as I do" policy. 2017 Class action lawsuit against Equity for violating state laws, and I doubt it'll be their last. They contract out labor to subs who hire/take advantage of undocumented immigrants to save costs especially in busy season. The amount of unnecessary landfill waste this company produces is staggering, we'd throw away any appliance that worked fine but had minor cracks right into the dumpster every single day.

1 person found this review helpful

Equity Residential Response

Operations Specialist

Please be advised that Equity takes allegations of this kind very seriously and is committed to investigating and addressing them promptly. To initiate a thorough review of your concerns, we would appreciate receiving additional details. We encourage you to utilize the following channel to share specific information about your allegations: Call to Action Hotline (800) 231-5699. You may elect to remain anonymous or not. Either way, this channel provides a mechanism for you to provide the kinds of details needed to initiate a proper investigation.

1. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Intern Review

Nov 6, 2022 - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great community and great people

Cons

Unclear assignments at some times.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Equity Residential Response

Thank you so much for the 5 star review! We appreciate you taking the time to reflect on your experiences as an Intern with us, and wish you the best of luck!

2. 3.0
    Current Employee

Advancement and development severely lacking

Nov 28, 2022 - Assistant Community Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong company culture and some great people.

Cons

Upper management does little in the way of promoting advancement and development opportunities. The portfolio is restructuring staffing, centralizing operations etc. in a way that takes away responsibilities and earning potential, rendering certain full-time roles almost irrelevant. This restructuring also limits advancement opportunities as managerial roles are extremely difficult to come by and competitive to earn.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Equity Residential.

Equity Residential Careers

Cover image for Equity Residential

Our Story In the early 1960s, two guys at the University of Michigan – Sam Zell and Bob Lurie – started managing student apartment...More

• Work With Us
  • Ten Ways
  • Benefits Overview
  • Equity Values

Equity Residential Photos

+ Add Photo
Equity Residential photo of: Our employees pride themselves on providing a remarkable leasing and living experience to our residents.
Equity Residential photo of: October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month — an annual event to educate and increase awareness. Equity teams wear pink to support and raise awareness.
Equity Residential photo of: The Equity team in Chicago had a blast visiting Chicago Animal Care and Control with Safe Humane.
Equity Residential photo of: The Chicago teams led interactive presentations to showcase all the different facets of technology at Equity!
Equity Residential photo of: Flora Apartments