Cover image for Equity Residential

Add a Review

Employee Review

1. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

NY's new motto: Out with the old, in with the new

Jul 22, 2015 - Community Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, great coworkers. Large stable company who own and manage their own properties. Systems are up to date with new technology making it easier to manage your property. Training is a focus. Outings are fun.

Cons

The company has shifted in a direction that only cares about the bottom line. Employees are not valued nor are our residents! It's all about the money. It is understood that Equity is a REIT and we must do our best to make money for our shareholders. However, where is the balance? Extreme micro managing from corp level who only harps on what you can do better. Never focusing on what you have done well. There is a sense of a pompous tone from corp. Make money!! Even it means low annual increases for employees. And don't move on property because your increases will be just as high as residents! It seems the newly hired employees benefit the most with regards to compensation. Just wondering how many people need to leave for someone to see what's going on. Even new employees feel blindsided in comparison to what they were told and the reality of the way it is.

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful

Equity Residential Response

Operations Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed your teammates and company functions. However, we are sorry that you felt micromanaged and for your feelings that the company only cares about the bottom line. While it is true that senior leaders are passionate about the company, its success, delivering great customer service and creating a culture of accountability, no one likes to feel micromanaged. We like to think there can be a balance and are sorry you don't feel that it was true for you.

1. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Intern Review

Nov 6, 2022 - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great community and great people

Cons

Unclear assignments at some times.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Equity Residential Response

Thank you so much for the 5 star review! We appreciate you taking the time to reflect on your experiences as an Intern with us, and wish you the best of luck!

2. 3.0
    Current Employee

Advancement and development severely lacking

Nov 28, 2022 - Assistant Community Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong company culture and some great people.

Cons

Upper management does little in the way of promoting advancement and development opportunities. The portfolio is restructuring staffing, centralizing operations etc. in a way that takes away responsibilities and earning potential, rendering certain full-time roles almost irrelevant. This restructuring also limits advancement opportunities as managerial roles are extremely difficult to come by and competitive to earn.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Equity Residential.

Equity Residential Careers

Cover image for Equity Residential

Our Story In the early 1960s, two guys at the University of Michigan – Sam Zell and Bob Lurie – started managing student apartment...More

• Work With Us
  • Ten Ways
  • Benefits Overview
  • Equity Values

Equity Residential Photos

+ Add Photo
Equity Residential photo of: Our employees pride themselves on providing a remarkable leasing and living experience to our residents.
Equity Residential photo of: October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month — an annual event to educate and increase awareness. Equity teams wear pink to support and raise awareness.
Equity Residential photo of: The Equity team in Chicago had a blast visiting Chicago Animal Care and Control with Safe Humane.
Equity Residential photo of: The Chicago teams led interactive presentations to showcase all the different facets of technology at Equity!
Equity Residential photo of: Flora Apartments