Eriksen Translations - Great place to work! | Glassdoor

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Controller in New York, NY
Current Employee - Controller in New York, NY

Pros

Very friendly environment, good procedures and processes in place streamlining the activity. The management team is very strong and the duties are well divided within the organization. This allows for a clear understanding of job responsibilities and allows for good comprehensive year-end reviews. The company strives to create good KPIs for each position and train its employees to understand them, follow them up and present them to the management.

Cons

The company is small so it is prone to be affected by market movements and by strong competition. Also, the organic growth of the company might be slower than some people would expect, also due to the size.

Advice to Management

To emphasize more the Six Sigma and business process management.

Other Employee Reviews for Eriksen Translations

1. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Eriksen Translations full-time

Pros

I really enjoy working at Eriksen in large part due to the staff. Everyone here is a pleasure to work with - friendly, helpful, and talented.

People here take pride in the work they do. Our account and project managers sincerely care about their clients – and this shows through in the type of service they provide and the quality of work they deliver. Everyone has a real passion for language!

I’ve never before worked with such a diverse group of people, who originate from many different countries and speak a wide variety of languages. They are always surprising me with interesting pieces of their different cultures, from Brazilian Brigadeiros pastries on Valentine’s Day to the traditional holiday party glögg.

Like any small business, people wear many hats, which present great opportunities to learn. And I really enjoy working for a company that does positive work to help others. We help NYC communicate with non-English speaking communities, we provide interpreters to help people obtain quality health care – these are all things to feel good about!

Cons

This is a competitive industry, and to succeed it takes hard work. It sometimes requires putting in extra hours when projects demand, as well as a commitment to providing extra high levels of customer service. (Especially true for a small business.) This can at times be a challenge, but it also creates a great environment in which to learn and grow.

Advice to Management

Continue being supportive of your staff, listening to their ideas, and nurturing their talents.

2. "Very positive experience at Eriksen"

Pros

Eriksen has great people; I really like my co-workers, and they are knowledgeable, good at their jobs, and very engaged. Everyone is interested in delivering good quality and good service to the clients.

I think the work-life balance is good . The language industry which can have long hours or early starts/late nights to facilitate working with people in different time zones. Here at Eriksen, there are not too many people in the office before 9am and after 6pm. There is a contrast to other LSPs where a daily marathon work day for most employees is more common. The PTO policy is generous too.

I did not agree with the person who wrote a review on Jan 10, 2014. Everyone is entitled to share their opinion, but I don't see that "employee morale is in the toilet"; rather, I find it very energizing to come to a work place with smiling, friendly, happy co-workers.

Cons

Small companies do not have the same promotion opportunities as large companies. However, you can get to wear several hats and are not limited to just your own function. The sense of involvement and contribution to the success of a small company can be very satisfying compared with a large company.

Advice to Management

I like the diverse range of things we get to be involved with; thank you for those opportunities and please keep them coming!