Esri - Second-Worst Place I've Ever Worked | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Esri

"Second-Worst Place I've Ever Worked"

Former Contractor - Senior ColdFusion Developer in Redlands, CA
Former Contractor - Senior ColdFusion Developer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great cafeteria, decent parking, good location in Redlands, California.

Cons

HORRIBLE management. I was grilled four times over three months for a contract position, and then after finally getting an offer, I get placed into a group run by a guy who refuses to embrace new technology. The ONLY group that didn't use OO programming methodologies. And his incompetent manager backed him despite pressure from all over the company to give in and adapt a more modern style. I wanted the job specifically to build my experience with advanced OO technologies, but it was more like a bait-n-switch. I left after six months. Oh BTW, I learned in a company meeting that as of 2011, they had NO DISASTER RECOVERY PLAN. None. And better yet, they were FINE WITH IT. Keep in mind these idiots are in Southern California, in the heart of Earthquake Central. Keep that in mind before you do business with them. They also won't hire you as a permanent employee unless you have a degree... yet they will use contractors without degrees. Pretty lame.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Get your priorities straight and start scrutinizing your long-term people and see if maybe they're the reason you aren't keeping people around. I know quite a few people who have left since I was there; many people are unhappy.

Other Employee Reviews for Esri

"Blend. Become as beige as the walls, carpets, chairs, and desks."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work once I learned how it works. Esri has a very low turnover rate, once you're in, you're in. The company supports me to perpetuate the same position indefinitely. There's no cap for the salary of my role and I get the same annual salary increase regardless of how I perform. I don't need to grow professionally. More challenging roles are filled by newer people. Best yet, management prefers employees to not be interested in career growth.

Cons

The competition is reinventing the business model... I think. That is if making similar software user-friendly becomes marketable.

Advice to Management

Just don't retire. There is literally nobody else in the company who can do your job.

"Private Company Managed by single Owner"

Former Employee - Director in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable Salary
    Long-term employment with few if any layoffs
    Hourly salary compensates for long hours when needed
    Very centralized company

Cons

Everything has to be approved by owner
    No budget for employee activities
    Little advancement prospects if not located in Southern California