Esri - On treadmill going nowhere | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Esri

"On treadmill going nowhere"

Current Employee - Consultant in Redlands, CA
Current Employee - Consultant in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Stable job
- Get paid for hours you work

Cons

- No career path
- Esri hires externally for senior positions instead of promoting employees internally
- Company is structured around individual egos, resulting in ineffective silos
- HR is not an employee advocate, and not empowered to tame overgrown ego employees

Advice to Management

- Start promoting high performing employees to senior positions (look internally first)
- Let go of the extreme non-performers, as their drag on the organization is increasing
- Reflect on why the main positive Esri reviews on Glassfish are from Interns and not full-time employees
- Internal systems management efficiency has tanked over the last 2 years and is a larger drain on the organization than it should be.
- Start eliminating the ego based silos within Esri (require knowledge dissemination) so we can provide better solutions at lower cost.

Other Employee Reviews for Esri

"Great company, not-so-great management"

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA

I have been working at Esri full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- flexible hours
    - training and tuition assistance
    - great place for GISers, cartographers and geographers to begin their career
    - get to play with the newest GIS toys
    - very stable company and employment

Cons

- very little perks compared to other companies of similar size
    - company has a flat structure; almost non-existent chance of promotion
    - no snacks or food provided; cafe and vending machines are not subsidized
    - the corporate side of HR is out-of-touch with nature of work
    - internet usage is monitored, controlled by ineffective web filter software
    - no incentive for younger employees to stay on or remain motivated
    - no team building events/practices
    - very few vacation days

Advice to Management

1. Provide SOME workplace perks (at least free donuts, good coffee, subsidized lunch, etc)
    2. Provide better benefits (childcare, housing allowance, pet insurance, etc)
    3. If no promotion structure, employees should be given incentives in other forms (increased vacation, 401K contribution bonus, gift cards, etc)
    4. Restructure corporate HR employees and practices

"Second-Worst Place I've Ever Worked"

Former Contractor - Senior ColdFusion Developer in Redlands, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior ColdFusion Developer in Redlands, CA

I worked at Esri as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great cafeteria, decent parking, good location in Redlands, California.

Cons

HORRIBLE management. I was grilled four times over three months for a contract position, and then after finally getting an offer, I get placed into a group run by a guy who refuses to embrace new technology. The ONLY group that didn't use OO programming methodologies. And his incompetent manager backed him despite pressure from all over the company to give in and adapt a more modern style. I wanted the job specifically to build my experience with advanced OO technologies, but it was more like a bait-n-switch. I left after six months. Oh BTW, I learned in a company meeting that as of 2011, they had NO DISASTER RECOVERY PLAN. None. And better yet, they were FINE WITH IT. Keep in mind these idiots are in Southern California, in the heart of Earthquake Central. Keep that in mind before you do business with them. They also won't hire you as a permanent employee unless you have a degree... yet they will use contractors without degrees. Pretty lame.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Get your priorities straight and start scrutinizing your long-term people and see if maybe they're the reason you aren't keeping people around. I know quite a few people who have left since I was there; many people are unhappy.