Essex Property Trust - You Get What You Give | Glassdoor

"You Get What You Give"

Pros

I have worked in the industry for over 12 years and have spent half of my years with Essex. I have had ample opportunities to grow within the organization and have been able to actively contribute to the company. Essex looks for "can do attitude" people who are willing to communicate issues, ideas and ways of improving our overall business. One thing that really attracted me to the company was the tenure of the leadership team and various employees throughout the organization. The company makes you feel like you are an investment rather than a number or job title. The more you invest, by way of effort, in the company the more they invest in you. The property manager, regional managers and division leaders are really committed to improving the way we do our business. And we are growing! Many of our corporate departments have added support to improve things. So glad to see better systems in place as when I started we were on a DOS based computer system, little marketing support, no classes and little capital and maintenance support. Now that has all changed. And for the better. Before we were expected to do it all on our own and now there are support systems/departments in place.

Cons

Anyone and everyone who is going to reflect on a company will have things they would like to see different. I'll let my supervisor know what we can improve on.

Advice to Management

Keep us in the know and continue to communicate to us! It's great to see you out at the sites, on webcasts and at company events.

Other Employee Reviews for Essex Property Trust

"Take the good with the bad"

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

Pros

Advance quickly if you show that you're capable
    Many communities in close proximity

Cons

Essex expects employees to know their residents very well but they transfer them from property to property so frequently that it's nearly impossible. Managers are expected to know their properties and residents but they don't trust on our opinions on what will make our residents happy and retain them. They generally see their residents as money instead of people and at times they make decisions that anger the residents, but expect us to take responsibility and act as though they were our decisions. The majority of my residents don't think that Essex is a very moral company, and they tell me so frequently.

Advice to Management

"Creating the communities people call home" You should stay true to this and stop sacrificing service and your residents for money. Upper management has very little idea of the day to day happenings of a community. If you're constantly pressuring your employees to make the company more money, try passing on the success of Essex to them.

2. "Innovative and progressive company"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Essex Property Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training. Growth opportunities. Network and team.

Cons

Pay seems a little low at times compared to other companies.

Advice to Management

More higher level training. ARM or CRM certification assistance.