Esurance - Oppressive environment | Glassdoor

"Oppressive environment"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Rocklin, CA
Former Employee - Software Developer in Rocklin, CA

Pros

Descent salary and benefits. That's about it.

Cons

Horrible management, software side of the house was run like the insurance side of the house. I do not think management knew how to run a software development team. Very timid about adopting new technologies. I do not feel my input was ever heard (though it was asked). We were still using ie6, Visual Studio 2003 with .Net 1.1 and were not allowed to take advantage of emerging technologies.

Advice to Management

Your development teams do not work the same as your insurance product teams. Allow your middle and lower management to do their jobs and have more say in the direction of projects. Micromanagement does not equal efficiency and higher margins. It equals disgruntled employees and stifled creativity. Software developers are creative people. Give them room to work and express themselves. Embrace new technologies. They will very likely save you money in the middle to long run and will give your works higher job satisfaction.

Other Employee Reviews for Esurance

"Do not work in IT."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Location in SF is great, except parking is expensive if you plan to drive. If you bart, then it's great.

Cons

Incompetent management. People get promoted at Esurance because they have been there since the conception of it. They stay because they can't find jobs anywhere else and wouldn't be able to hack a job outside of their little enclave of Esurance. IT workers are capable, but their management is less than mediocre both from a technical perspective and from a people managment perspective. They will work you unnecessarily and without good reason.

Advice to Management

IT - Get it together. The product and advertisement departments are doing a good job. You are not. Your code stinks and your policies are from the time of the Land of the Lost.

"Good News doesn't travel fast? Where are all the happy people?"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Rocklin, CA

Pros

Esurance is a "dot.com" which means they need staff available in nearly all departments 24 hours per day. For the most part, this allows employees to find and work a schedule that fits their needs to reach the best work/life balance. I currently am enrolled in 12 units of Upper Division business courses working towards two Bachelor Degrees and am able to work 40 hours a week while earning career type salary. Esurance is always trying to find innovation within the industry and within the company and have an open door policy for suggestions. The suggestions are heard and the good ones are implemented. Oh and did I mention that they are paying for my school?

Cons

Well, related to the upside of working for Esurance I think it would be fair for me to say that you do need to put in some time at whatever schedule you are hired for before receiving your most desired shift. At least in my department (Sales) that is how it works. If you leave the company within one year of being reimbursed for tuition you must repay the tuition that you were reimbursed for within that time. Seperately from my "best reasons", if you are a person not accustomed to a work environment that changes constantly, even sometimes monthly, then this is not the place for you. Because they try out alot of different ways to conduct business, there are always numerous projects starting up and getting shut down so you need to be mentally flexible.

Advice to Management

Please continue to communicate as you have been with regard to changes to the Company. Please continue to listen to and implement suggestions from all employees.

Thank you for offering me a job and coming into my life at a time where I was in dire need of employment and rescuing me from another dotcom facing it's second bankruptcy filing and actually closed on my second day in New Hire Training.

I'm coming up on my 2-year anniversary and depending where you can take me after I am finished with school I very well may work my entire career for your company. I'm very satisfied.