Esurance - Don't do it, you'll regret it...... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Esurance

"Don't do it, you'll regret it......"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Mesa, AZ
Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Esurance full-time

Pros

You don't take work home with you. When you're finished, you're finished. In this economy, any job is better than no job and I'm grateful I had this one too. Those are my pros.

Cons

Where to begin? Mesa Arizona is a "first contact" site which means that you become the dumping ground for calls that the other sites don't want, but you're expected to sell the same number of policies as the other locations. Get ready to sell in Michigan and Florida all day every day. You'll understand why this is bad later down the road. Management will claim that it's the luck of the draw but it becomes clear very quickly that all agents from all the other sites sell two or three times the amount that any agent in Mesa sells. Even a good agent with lots of experience! The turnover now is insane because of how low the pay is and how messed up the comp plan is. In your interview ask them to show you the comp plan and you'll get the best dog and pony show you could imagine. I'm telling you this so you don't make my mistake and waste time here. Everything is micromanaged so not only do you not get much of a bonus or any bonus each month but you get hassled when you go into wrap for too long and you can get written up even if you sell 120 policies for the month! Just look on the job search sites and Esurance in Mesa is ALWAYS hiring. That should tell you everything you need to know right there. I left voluntarily and you can take this review as a bitter ex-employee or someone who is actually trying to help you make an informed decision. Getting the real story is something you won't get much of once you start so it's best to hear it now.

Advice to Management

You should be ashamed of misleading people into a job like this by advertising it as a $70,000/yr job. You know it's not anywhere close to that and I don't even have a family and that bothers me a lot. I saw people on the floor with kids come to Esurance and leave jobs making 80K/yr to make 40K/yr at Esurance and it made me so sad. Deliberate and deceptive advertising. You guys are indifferent to the concerns of the sales floor and none of you have ever had prior management experience before your recent promotions. You are hired to track stats and availability but have no idea how to care for your people. As long as you guys collect your checks it's all good right? Stop hiring people with families and telling them that they'll make 60 or 70 per year when you know the real figure is 35 or 40 thousand.

Other Employee Reviews for Esurance

"The negative reviews are pretty accurate. There are better companies out there to work for."

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are nice
    Atmosphere is laid back for the most part
    Casual dress code

Cons

NO clear expectations are set, however they do push numbers.
    NO real training.
    Overwhelming workload, almost everyone works late.
    You are expected to come in on weekends to catch up if you are behind, and they give you "holidays" off. However, if you work in the claims dept you will still get claims assigned to you whether you come in on the holiday to work or not. NO extra day pay is offered for your time. Yet it is made pretty clear that is required to work at least one holiday.
    No real life work balance

Advice to Management

Offer employees an extra days pay for the holiday time they work. Set clear expectations.
    Train everyone on the systems not just the ones without claims experience.

"They work you to death."

Current Employee - Marketing Department in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Department in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Esurance full-time

Pros

Nice office location in San Francisco. Salary + bonus is decent pay. Benefits are good.

Cons

The conservative senior managers, all men, don't get the tech aspect of the company. Ironic, because it's a dot.com. These men came from the insurance industry. The work week is long, long, long. Employees are micromanaged. Nasty behavior is tolerated. Not a friendly work environment. Women have a tough time getting promoted.

Advice to Management

Let your staff do their jobs. Give a pat on the back to employees. Don't play favorites.