Evernote - Greatly Enjoyed my time working for Evernote Android Team | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Evernote

"Greatly Enjoyed my time working for Evernote Android Team"

Former Employee - Lead Android Developer in Redwood City, CA
Former Employee - Lead Android Developer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Evernote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for the Evernote Android team for 2 years. The Android team at Evernote consists of extremely competent engineers with a strong work ethic. The team is responsible for delivering a top notch application that works on a variety of devices and is used by millions of users and is the number one app for Evernote. The philosophy that is followed is all about making an end user productive and happy. The engineering process is very collaborative where engineers learn from each other and have a common goal for excellence. Engineers who have gone out to pursue other opportunities remain in contact with current team and are doing very well in their careers.

When i joined Evernote, i had no android knowledge and i was given an environment when my peers mentored me and challenged me and helped me become a better engineer.

Lately there have been many negative reviews about the company and the CEO. Personally, I have never had any interaction with the CEO since i keep a low profile but i had a great time working for my VP of Products(Phil C) who was also my manager. I got many challenges from him, got acknowledgement and i had a great time working for him. He is a very strong engineering leader and a great person to work with.

Cons

The company does not have a formal review and career growth process but i have heard that it is underway and should be addressed.

Advice to Management

Focus on more core Business and Collaboration features.

Other Employee Reviews for Evernote

"Fast paced and maturing global company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Evernote full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lunch is great, new office is well designed, and I use the product to keep myself organized. My co-workers have taught me professional skills, camaraderie, and how to get things done.

My family and friends use Evernote, it's an app brand I'm proud to work for.

There's a new cafe on the first floor lobby which has become a new spot to meet other teams, VPs, and interact with more people outside of your direct group. Some employees have volunteered for barista shifts, which means I get a latte poured during a causal work meeting. Yum. (Even the CEO occasionally serves coffee)

I trust my boss and have been trained over the years at Evernote. Looking forward to the next few years as we get this company ready for the next level.

Cons

Our section of Redwood City is stuck between a Sizzler, Kohls, and Applebee's. There's nothing trendy or interesting about the immediate surroundings if your interested in socializing after hours. Downtown RWC is decent if you're willing to walk/drive down though.

The office environment is not family friendly, it's unclear/opaque if children of staff are welcome to visit.

Overall it's a workplace with multiple teams and varying work cultures. One engineer's experience is going to be vastly different than a marketing team or QA team member. (This is not a bad thing)

Advice to Management

Goal setting as of late has been helpful - company is poised for a (hopefully) great 2015. Thanks

"Loved everything about it for my first year, been going downhill fast"

Former Employee - Development Team Member
    Former Employee - Development Team Member

I worked at Evernote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

By far, the opportunity to work on a product that is used and loved by millions of people every day. I took great pride in knowing that I was making a positive contribution to the product. There are some of the most talented people I've ever worked with working at Evernote. While I would not praise management (covered in the Cons section), the majority of the people actually working on the products on a day to day basis are outstanding (designers, developers, and QA). I also think that the product owners are very good at what they do, if they would be allowed to do their jobs as professionals and not micromanaged.

I have found that having Evernote on your resume is also a good thing for opportunities after Evernote (at least for the time being).

And, as mentioned in almost every review, the perks are extraordinary. Apparently I was one of the few who was approved and actually did take one to two one-week vacations a year, taking advantage of the unlimited vacation. Housekeeping was a great perk, too, although employees need to remember that the cost of this is included as part of your income and is taxed as such (and it seems that the housekeeping service charges a premium for cleaning Evernote employee's homes -- much higher than competing services). Free lunches are very nice -- but again, there's motivation for offering free lunches daily -- employees are on location and putting in more time at the office.

Cons

No employee reviews. None. Ever. The only one-on-one I had with my manager was when he first came on board and met with all his direct reports individually. No further one-on-ones with management until the day I left.

No opportunity for professional growth or repositioning when the company decides to move in a completely different direction for product. People who were hired for their specific skills (and who excel in those skills at Evernote) sometimes find themselves thrown to the curb when those skills no longer map to the new direction. The company would be so much better off - if when corporate changes are on the horizon, management would take the steps necessary to ensure that what should be its most valued assets, its employees, are provided with the tools to move in the new direction as well. Instead of providing training or mentoring highly-skilled current employees, Evernote has the tendency to terminate a previously valued employee and hire someone else with the skills dejour.

CEO cannot / will not stay focused on what users love -- EVERNOTE! When people say they love Evernote (and there are millions of us!), they mean the Evernote application. $5 a month for every premium user is what pays for the cost of running the company. Users are getting disenchanted with Evernote, and users are moving to other options. Why? Because rather than focusing all efforts on making Evernote as good as it possibly can be, they are off working on nothing related to the Evernote product (a market for selling Evernote branded scanners, styli, backpacks, wallets, wearables, and SOCKS!). Really?! Penultimate (pre-Evernote) was once the top handwriting app for iPad. No more. Skitch has morphed into something so far from what users loved so dearly, that I'm not even sure what its purpose is any more. I'm so surprised that the board has allowed such shenanagans to continue and hasn't mandated that Evernote will only work on Evernote. This would trim down headcount tremendously (and would possibly close a few satellite offices), reducing operating costs, and allow the remaining team to work on what is making the company money.

No salary increases for me or anyone I know -- so get what you can in your initial negotiations.

Stated many times, nepotism is wild -- not only family members -- but long time friends of upper management will receive extreme favoritism. There is an employee referral bonus program, which would normally be considered a "Pro", but it really doesn't matter if upper management has a candidate that may be up against another candidate. I've seen highly qualified candidates that were "common" employee referrals passed on without a cursory review of the resume -- then the next day see someone coming in to interview for the same position that is a friend of management. This is not just "the Phils" -- just about all upper management at various locations do this. Sadly, HR does nothing to correct any of this behavior.

Cannot express opinions that may differ from upper management -- even in meetings designed as such. People learn very quickly to keep their mouths shut and just let the management toss out the ideas.

Advice to Management

Throw in the towel on all the side projects and focus on the Evernote app - just Evernote.

Be wise to the fact that you have some exceptional people working for Evernote that want to be valued for the work they do for the company daily. Also be advised that you are losing people who truly love the product, love working on the product to make it better, and who would want to stay if the company was what it was just two or three years ago. Grow your company by growing, empowering and leading your existing employees rather than replacing them with the newest model. There's something to be said for tenor within a company and employee loyalty.

Focus on the people who are doing all they can do for the better of Evernote -- the success of Evernote is because of them, not you. It would be wise to never forget that.