Exar - A jumbled company | Glassdoor

"A jumbled company"

Former Employee - Director Sales in Raleigh, NC
Former Employee - Director Sales in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Great people, many industry veterans with a wealth of knowledge and experience

Cons

Management was chasing high-end data com and storage customers but not resourced to support them

Advice to Management

New management as of Q1 is refocusing company on power ICs...good idea

Other Employee Reviews for Exar

1. "Not a bad place to work"

Former Employee - Middle Manager in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Middle Manager in Fremont, CA

Pros

Financially secure company with a long history ( 40 years). A lot of employees have been with the company 10+ or 20+ years. A good work environment, friendly people, expectations are reasonable and coworkers are helpful. Compensation and benefits are both reasonable-- not outstanding, but fair. By Silicon Valley standards, a stable company where you know what you're going to get.

Cons

Exar struck me as overly resistant to change, which isn't a big surprise given how long it has been around. I also felt that Exar lacked an identity in a way that no other place I've worked has. What makes Exar Exar? I guess the fact that it's been around for 40 years-- every other place I've worked has something more tangible: advantages in customer service, engineering or pricing, etc. But for Exar I could never put my finger on it-- except to say that it's been around 40 years.

Advice to Management

Figure out what Exar does well and stick with it.

2. "Exar is not bad"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Fremont, CA

Pros

In general, Exar has competent employees who are nice people. There are lots of people with 10 or more years at the company who manage to keep the company going.

Cons

Exar has a broad focus for such a relatively small company (about 500 employees). It is easy for the smaller projects to get lost among the handful of larger projects.