Exelis - The Sad Ending | Glassdoor

"The Sad Ending"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Exelis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Let me think about the pros" none

Cons

This company is going down hill very quickly, they have lost a lot of good hard workers, why because of top management greed. but this loss not only is going to hurt employees is going to cripple the company. I called the 2012 no talented EXIT-LESS Company no where to go but DOWN.

Advice to Management

Get real treat the remaining employees good so some day you may not be at the unemployment office.

Other Employee Reviews for Exelis

"Excellent work-life balance but the company has some big issues to overcome"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Exelis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is awesome. My coworkers are extremely intelligent, talented, and dedicated to the products. Office location is good, near trails and open spaces. Environment is quiet and relaxed. Product suite is excellent and has been around for a long time.

Vacation and sick time are decent. I'm treated like a professional, which I appreciate. Work load is appropriate, although feels a little light sometimes.

Many folks have been here a very long time so there is a lot of deep knowledge of the products still in residence.

Cons

Need attention to new product development in order to lead the competition. Right now we're lagging behind it and only trying to keep pace. We have the engineering staff to lead the industry but lack vision and direction to get us there. Also need someone in charge of Marketing who actually understands both our technical customer base and our products - Marketing needs to be more technical so that we can regain ground on our competition. I think this would help with lagging sales as well.

Doesn't seem to be an overall, strong, forward-thinking vision for the products or the company - something we desperately need. We need to be thinking about other markets besides Defense, folks!

Salary is on the low side compared to other similar companies in the area, benefits OK to mediocre. No raises. Recent reorg and benefits changes have taken a toll on morale.

Not one of those places you'd consider "fun". It's difficult to get to know folks here as the place is full of very introverted people working in offices with their doors closed. Yes, most people are still in offices with a very few of us in cubicles. They're nice people, but so introverted that it's difficult to strike up a conversation even at lunch...and with most folks keeping their doors closed I feel like I'm in solitary confinement most of the time. Hard to get people to say hello or look me in the eye they're that introverted. Very isolating for someone like me who is more on the extroverted side - I might as well be working at home.

Advice to Management

We need vision, direction, and better marketing for our potential customer base. And figure out a way to get past the isolationist culture - it's not a very fun work environment.

"Uninspired leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Exelis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have hired a few good managers recently.

Cons

Former management and old managers that are still there have been unable to create and enforce the changes necessary to make this a good company. Morale is toxic, pay is low and the company lacks the ability to create any positive momentum for improving processes or results. Quality of products produced and service to the customers suffer as a result.

Advice to Management

Clean out the old managers and start fresh. Too many long term employees have settled into a routine of doing as little as possible and making life difficult for those who want to succeed.