Exelis - Great work, weak future | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Exelis

"Great work, weak future"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Rochester, NY
Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Exelis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is interesting, challenging, and generally meaningful. If you can find a good manager, the experience can be rewarding in the short term. Pay is generally above average.

Cons

There is little clear path to advancement. Upper management and internal process is completely outwardly focused and has no interest in developing employees, supporting people, or improving operations. This is not a progressive company.

Advice to Management

Refocus on modern business management practice. Pay your employees more than lip service.

Other Employee Reviews for Exelis

"Management doesn't care about employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Exelis full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The only Pro that I can think of is the regular employees at this company. From hourly up to, maybe, the 1st 2 layers of management. Beyond that there is GREED. No raises for employees yet Melcher got 9 million

Cons

Greed, Micromanagment, turning a blind eye, trying to skirt the system, lying, Putting road blocks up.retaliation, waste. Dave Melcher got 9 million dollars( 200% pay increase) and then went on to tell the employees that even though the company was doing great that we would not be getting our measily 3% merit increase.

Advice to Management

The customers and stockholders are important..........The employees are also important. Without employees there is NO Exelis. When I say employees I mean the people that actually do the work. The production, The IT, the Engineers. They keep this company running for you so you can have customers and pay the stockholders. But the families you laid off mean nothing to you. My advice is for you to look at your employees.

"Many changes. Uncertain future."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Exelis full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

An old, but large, well equipped facility with secure off-street parking.

Cons

As an independent company, ITT Exelis is struggling with an shrinking defense market and a huge pension debt which it inherited from ITT Corp. There no substantial new contracts, and legacy programs are winding down. The company has frozen pay raises for the last 3 years and are now eliminating the pension plan. They have also reduced health insurance benefits. It is doubtful to many employees that Exelis will survive much longer. I am witnessing the slow death of a once great company.

Advice to Management

If you want the company to survive and prosper, you have to get serious about eliminating waste. I agree with the plan to eliminate the pension debt. However, you MUST eliminate the waste created from so many no-show jobs in middle management and engineering. Manufacturing people are stretched to the limit while supervision is redundant. Get rid of the jobs that originated from nepotism and personal favors and retain the people that are getting the job done. It's your only chance.