Exelis - A great place | Glassdoor

"A great place"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Mc Lean, VA
Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Mc Lean, VA

I have been working at Exelis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great technology, Great people, Excellent management

Cons

Dependent on US in most respects international just starting. Some groups drag the rest down.

Advice to Management

Keep going to achieve WW share

Other Employee Reviews for Exelis

"The Death Of Merit"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Exelis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are very few pros to working here. Some of the people here are nice to work with and know their stuff, but those people are vanishing fast, and all that are left and slackers and suck-ups.

Cons

The downsides are plentiful. The biggest overriding factor is there is no link between your job performance and actual reward. The company has evaluations and performance reviews all the time, but actual advancement in salary and position are dependent solely on the opinion of a few higher level managers who may not know your name, let alone your work performance. Bonuses, less than one percent of salary, were awarded across the board regardless of qualification. The hardest worker was rewarded equally with somebody who slept in their cubicle.

Exelis has spent the last several years embarking on what I can only call corporate austerity. Retirement benefits were halved, health insurance was crippled to the point of uselessness, salaries were frozen, and layoffs went from a fear to a quarterly certainty. Everyone is terrified of losing their job now, so a culture of silence has developed. Reporting ethics violations or injuries is a guaranteed way to suffer reprisal under the guise of "cost cutting".

Communication is a rarity. Not a day goes by without somebody mentioning that nobody talks to other people. Most work will be either duplicated or not done at all. Managers fail to understand we are not a manufacturing plant, so more often than not the solution to schedule issues is to force overtime with no regard for employee happiness.

Overall, the environment is toxic and opportunities are dismal at best. The company is like to fold or be bought our within nine months.

Advice to Management

Promote. Invest in your employees. Stop viewing the people who work here as a cost to be cut.

"It Could Have Been Much Better ..."

Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Exelis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your peers & immediate supervision were good to deal professionally and personally

Cons

Upper Management very slow to act or re-act to market trends. Resistant to change and evolution in technology. I am glad I came with many years of experience under my belt, since it does not mentor and develop young talent very well at all. I was highly under utilized given my professional expertise & experience, but local management could not think outside the box to do better with me or many of my peers in a similar position.

Advice to Management

Listen to the concerns of your younger employees and address them or you will have a very difficult time growing and maintaining your technical acumen as an organization over the long term.