Exelis - Program management | Glassdoor

"Program management"

I have been working at Exelis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management support is great. I was given total support and trust to accomplish my mission which allowed me to contribute excellent results. Also as our company evolves upper management keeps us informed on the developments thus reducing anxiety.

Cons

Not enough IR&D work performed to keep us competitive IMHO.

Advice to Management

When developing strategic plan forward would be nice to solicit more input from senior program management level.

Other Employee Reviews for Exelis

"Never Again!"

Former Employee - Lead in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Lead in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at Exelis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job was a reasonable commute to work.

Cons

Management was quite archaic and unethical at times. No internal training available. Many hours of overtime worked with no compensation. Too many ethical issues to list. Drastic cuts to health benefits. Many employees were not treated correctly. Autocratic management in a venomous work environment. Located in a very compromised area of Van Nuys, CA. Used condoms frequently seen on the ground in the parking lot!

Advice to Management

Adhere to your Code of Ethics policies. Government issued the stop-work orders for a good reason!

2. "Good for getting exposure to the entire development cycle. Digital baseband engineers will learn the most"

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Baseband engineers usually "own" the vast majority of the project. It is still a collaborative, team culture. Generally a pretty good crew (smallish, mostly engineers). Flat hierarchy if you care about that sort of thing. A solid electronics design house.

Cons

If you care about advancement into managerial ranks, keep looking (flat-hierarchy). If you don't like the idea of working 2 or more projects (sometimes BOTH as a lead) then rethink working here. That said, they're pretty respectful of the work-life balance - you shouldn't usually have to work like a dog if you have attention to detail and can work effectively.

Advice to Management

Its a project driven design firm with a specialty in Satellite-based technology and a quick-turn, custom kind of mentality. They get work pretty consistently and are fairly insulated from the rest of the much larger company. High-quality designs, dense layouts.