Expedia - No monetary benefit for sticking around; work/life balance depends upon the group | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Expedia

"No monetary benefit for sticking around; work/life balance depends upon the group"

Current Employee - Product in Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Product in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Travel discounts. Good vacation benefits. Leisure travel reimbursement. OK culture. Casual dress.

Cons

There's no unified policy around working from home and they like to say they promote work/life balance, but when you have a manager that isn't in line with alleged company values there is unfair scrutiny. As a working mother I feel unfairly scrutinized when I need to take my children to the doctor even when there's never been a question of the quality and timeliness of work. I've been told that "people" have noticed that I'm not here on the rare occasions that I need to tend to something during working hours. I'm salary so it's not like I'm skipping out on hours and then claiming them. On other teams I had really great flexibility and that was a strength of the management. I've gone from working from home 1-4 days a week to not at all because you need to keep up appearances for management. You're made to feel untrustworthy and like you're slacking.

I've been here over 5 years and a few years ago HR had a new policy to hire everyone in at the middle of their salary range while leaving everyone that was already here where they were. So I was managing people that were making only $500 less than me a year. If I was to be hired now I would be making $20,000 more a year and that's really difficult to stomach. I continually think about leaving.

Obvious favoritism from management.

Advice to Management

Be consistent. Trust your employees and don't be a manager if you can't talk directly to your directs. More communication. Don't penalize working parents. Pay all of your employees competitively. Learn what your employees do. I can't respect a manager that doesn't understand my job or the business.

Other Employee Reviews for Expedia

"Lots of Re-Organizations and Turnover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vacation benefits, medical, relaxed environment. The employees are friendly and have varied backgrounds.

Cons

From my experience it can be difficult to work for Expedia and not feel like a guest rather than an employee. Turnover seems to be massive at this company and a lot of people seem to leave at about the two-year mark. There are frequent senior leadership changes which causes attrition in the ranks. New leaders often end up re-organizing entire groups which forces some people out of
    work. You can be very happy and well-suited to the job you were hired for and then suddenly come to work one day to find that you are on a new team with a different manager. This new team may have different expectations and work which you are not as suited for. I'd already been through a few re-orgs and then one day I came to work to find HR giving a few of us our walking papers due to yet another impending re-organization. They didn't give us the option of looking for other jobs internally, they simply took our badges and walked us out of the building which was very cold, in my opinion.

I've worked for many large companies and can honestly say that there are more re-organizations
    and employee turnover at Expedia than i've ever seen. I understand that re-orgs are a part of corporate life, but this was ridiculous. Be aware of this for anyone re-locating from a long distance to join this company.

Advice to Management

Compensate employees fairly so they do not turnover so often. Also, limit re-organizations which causes attrition. Some managers need to learn to keep work-life balance in check and also treat subordinates with respect and limit yelling or condescending behavior.

"Expedia is an awesome company to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Live and Work balance is outstanding. Great compensation and lots of opportunities for growth.

Cons

Employees don't get awarded any stocks.

Advice to Management

Start giving out stocks!