Expedia - A good school | Glassdoor

"A good school"

Former Employee - Development Lead in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Development Lead in Bellevue, WA

Pros

You can expect to learn good processes in a structured environment.
Employee benefits are very competitive

Cons

It's not always easy to get something done in such a big organization, you have to be ready to navigate trough the company different horizontal and vertical structural layers.

Advice to Management

Keep it simple !
It would be more useful to cut in the management structure rather than cutting functionalities. In the past two years, all management accomplishments are related to budget cuts.

The structure is so complex that even upper management takes important decisions without talking to the right persons.

Other Employee Reviews for Expedia

"Smart people with stamina to weather the downturn"

Former Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Amazingly smart people with a passion for travel working to create a fantastic customer experience. A continuing zeal to solve hard problems and do the right thing.

Cons

Lack of experience dealing with the tough times is causing management to stumble when dealing with downsizing, reorgs, and general morale issues.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy and stick with it. Change the tactics but try not to keep jumping from one strategy to another. The constant re-planning in ETG is causing morale problems, wasted effort (i.e. costs), and lack of output. Think about small and frequent improvements and don't wait for the perfect solution. Stick with it and you will make it through this year.

"Great company to work at for people interested in travel and software development."

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA

Pros

First and foremost I would say that on the whole, most of the people I worked with were smart, friendly, and very motivated individuals. When I had a question about something specific to the code base, I didn't have to wait very long to get a response back. Moreover, most of the code base is fairly well documented on an internal wiki. My manager was a great guy and gave me tons of positive feedback and encouraged me to explore all the unique opportunities Expedia had to offer. It is also worth noting that there are numerous opportunities for self-growth offered by the company, like language classes, that can be completed on your own time or sometimes even be counted towards your current work initiative.

Cons

Similar to most large code bases, there is a significant learning curve in regards to domain specific knowledge that needs to be overcome before one is able to start making useful contributions to company. Additionally, there was quite a bit of downtime while I waited for my computer to be set up which further set me back from making progress. I actually joined the company in the midst of a new site release and consequently I wasn't able to start working on the main code base until the release had executed successfully. When I worked at Expedia we had offices, but the company has since relocated to a new building with cubicles which I am less fond of.

Advice to Management

Keep up everything that you are doing now. I really appreciated the positive feedback when I got it and the encouragement to explore Expedia's self-improvement opportunities.