Expedia - HR Leadership Appalling | Glassdoor

"HR Leadership Appalling"

Former Employee - Human Resources/Recruiting Personnel in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Human Resources/Recruiting Personnel in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good perks and benefits, you get some good travel deals and the benefits are good compared to other large area competitors.

Cons

The leadership in HR is severely lacking, it is completely disorganized and led by an ego maniac. The pay structure there is less than competitive and they just don't seem to get it. The annual bonus is a joke, no one ever gets what is promised even if you are a top performer on the team. The only way to progress is to play a dangerous political game and you had better have eyes in the back of your head.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees, provide them with more clarity and consistency around policies, salary and annual bonus.

Other Employee Reviews for Expedia

"Love company, dislike department"

Current Employee - Fraud Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Fraud Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time

Pros

liberal vacation, great medical, enjoy culture, once I get out of my own department it's a great place to work

Cons

Very very difficult to move around once you are there, managed by people who are unaware of what you do, morale is in the toilet, I think we may have the worst management in the entire company, unaware of how to engage employees, unaware of who does what, daily I feel like no one is in charge. Managers sit in offices with doors closed and are completely unavailable, supervisors are unskilled and micromanagers, too many workarounds for stuff that breaks or never worked correctly.

Advice to Management

It is really pointless as no one is listening. This is the worst I have ever seen it.

"A decent company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Biggest pluses are work-life balance, and getting to know the travel business. The investments in SOA are really starting to pay off, and the stock price has reflected the growing strength of the business.

Cons

They aim for 50% percentile of compensation in the industry, so you generally will not see an strong offer when hired. The company is for the most part not on the cutting edge of technology. The investments in engineering are mostly just to get to a modern SOA architecture, and I don't see any attempt to leapfrog in the process.

Advice to Management

Take a cue from Amazon and focus much more on customer experience, and let this drive the way forward.