Expedia - Not perfect, but ultimately worth it | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Expedia

"Not perfect, but ultimately worth it"

Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Expedia is full of passionate people who have progressive ideas. I love that my company cares about corporate stewardship and promotes environmentally sustainable travel. Despite some setbacks, we tend to be good about course correcting after mistakes or lulls in creativity. I think we are getting more interesting and creative with time instead of stagnating like many mature companies do.

Cons

Many teams are very understaffed (including my own). There can be many unreasonable expectations for deliverables given available resources and other commitments and this can get in the way of work-life balance. I see a lot of this in the areas of IT and development, which are the backbone of our company. We also often underpay compared to our local market and this can make staffing and retention difficult.

Advice to Management

Facilitate more collaboration and innovation, particularly across teams. Support user-experience innovations. Get with web 2.0 and better cross-browser support and don't forget the younger generation (without abandoning our current user base...just look toward the future). Don't skimp on resources or benefits; our people are the best asset we have and we have a lot of competition right next door.

Other Employee Reviews for Expedia

"Not a bad gig"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA

Pros

The people are great. Everyone is treated with respect and dignity. I have a strong sense of work / life balance. My immediate manager is very supportive and invested in my career.

Cons

Not sure of the long-term strategic vision. We tend to focus too much on the short-term issues, rather than looking into the future. I'm unsure if the current business model is sustainable, and would like to know what Sr Management is thinking about for 2010+.

Advice to Management

We need to focus more on the customer. Get back to basics.

"Greatly Lacks in the career growth and mentorship department"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA

Pros

The people and friendships was great. I made the best of my time there to help create some processes and automation that were missing for a long time--or never existed for that matter, and in return, helped save the company a lot $ in not hiring vendors for most of their project work.

Cons

There are no travel benefits unless you're in sales, high turnover, and the medical benes are ok, not great. The move to downtown Bellevue may cripple some of their existing talent base, but will be a better for their image in the long run.

Advice to Management

More face-to-face communication with mid-tier managers and open up eyes more to recognize true talent for making upper mgmt look good (whom get the bigger bonuses each year).