Expedia - Culture doesn't encourage teamwork or shared goals. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Expedia

"Culture doesn't encourage teamwork or shared goals."

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good including the travel discount. Location in downtown Bellevue makes an easy commute and good restaurants nearby. Some very talented individuals there.

Cons

Management practices "kiss up but kick down". Management doesn't see frequent turnover as a problem, yet this causes a huge drain of knowledge from the organization. The culture encourages doing what benefits me, not what's best for the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Expedia

"Great Engineering Division"

I have been working at Expedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive compensation packages, supportive management strategy, sharp executive leadership, data-driven decisions, pleasant office environment, good benefits, global-minded culture, smart and sincere co-workers.

Cons

Complex legacy systems, at times more finance-minded than innovative, too many Microsoft cultural holdovers, chaotic technical onboarding, not much work-life balance.

Advice to Management

You're right to focus on moving off legacy systems, and that would be supported better by ensuring new employees have focused training in all architecture and development tools. Even my most senior devs have struggled with the complex system, as have I.

Also, I very much support testing and learning to improve the bottom line, but I hope that some large strategic bets on innovation can be made as well. There is still much that can be disrupted in this space.

Finally, reining in the MS-like email and acronym culture would help reduce time-consuming confusion, especially for new employees.

Keep up the great work, it's a great engineering division with top-notch leadership.

2. "Some areas are better than others for politics getting in the way of actual work."

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, and the travel industry is far more challenging than expected. Passionate and fun people working at a very fast pace constantly pushing the tehcnology edge.
    Fast pace.

Cons

Some pockets of really poor managers/directors with ego issues.