Expeditors - non-IT but IT-like company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Expeditors

"non-IT but IT-like company"

Current Employee - Java Developer in West Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Java Developer in West Seattle, WA

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a great company for developers who don't want pagers or much stress from meeting project timeline. The company is very eager to adopt cutting edge technologies which gives you a lot of opportunities to grow.

Cons

Less than average pay rate. All decisions, related to technologies, are made by senior managers who don't know what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Please hear what people say.

Other Employee Reviews for Expeditors

"Hard to advance, limited salary potential"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Expeditors has great benefits, including full insurance coverage with no premium for you and your family, and a bus pass (if you work at headquarters), and an employee stock purchase plan. They do a great job of sticking to the 40 hour work week if you're at corporate. If you're at the branch though, I've heard some horror stories. We really do whatever it takes to get the freight moving.

Cons

Vacation time is VERY limited (two weeks for all employees until you reach three years), low salaries unless you're an executive, nepotism, and what feels like a deck stacked against you in terms of advancement. In addition, we've been on a hiring freeze for the past three years because as the CEO says "the economy is in a rough spot", while Amazon, Boeing and every other business in Seattle hires our developers away like crazy. Super strict dress code, little camaraderie among coworkers, drab office environment- it's not a fun place to work.

Advice to Management

Get with the times- you're losing your young employees left and right due to lack of innovation and a pay scale that isn't competitive at all. Let us go to conferences, network and co-work, maybe work from home, or do something that other tech companies do and maybe we can remain competitive?

"Great place to be!... If you work under the right management..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Expeditors has a strong culture and great value system and really regards its people as its greatest asset. Peter Rose has done an amazing job at ensuring that NOBODY gets laid off during these trying economic times. Although the culture is strong, Executives and Directors are constantly challenging themselves and the company to reevaluate how things are run at corporate. Most recently there is a big push for strengthening work relationships by empowering employees to engage in tough and authentic conversations.

Cons

Dressing up for work is fun for a while, but it starts to wear out after the first couple of years. It's hard to find an IT environment that requires dress shoes, slacks, and shirt/tie. Also the pay is not as competitive as other local tech companies. This has been a reason why some have opted to leave.

Advice to Management

Execs and Directors, keep on doing what you're doing! You listen to important matters no matter what level of employee that it comes from and help employees feel like what they do has significance. However, I would encourage you to be more discerning about who gets promoted to middle/upper management. Many middle/upper managers do not share quite the same ideals as you do.