Exponent - Small company feel with large company prestige and earning potential | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Exponent

"Small company feel with large company prestige and earning potential"

I have been working at Exponent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work is very varied; colleagues are highly competent; company size is manageable; vertical mobility can be high; locations in attractive major cities all across the US; shallow hierarchy

Cons

Vertical mobility depends in part on luck; workload is very erratic

Other Employee Reviews for Exponent

"Dynamic and interesting work"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist

I have been working at Exponent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I very much enjoy working on so many different projects that are relevant to issues happening in the world today. With only a few exceptions, everyone in the office is smart, friendly and highly motivated. There is a tiny bit of office politics but I think you get that everywhere. A nice mix of working together in teams but not always having to interact with other people. If you are diligent about how you use your time you can create a pretty good work life balance. It is definitely not expected that people work on weekends or stay late, just that you get your work done!

Cons

My one main gripe with Exponent is that there is little room for upward mobility. You really have to push to get facetime with clients and meeting clients on your own at conferences etc. is a matter of sheer luck. There are so many people that have been in the exact same position for 10+ years. That is really demoralizing. To make matters worse they often hire in upper management. I understand that people with contacts and experience in the field are able to bring in more clients but the company really needs to find a way to develop talent from within

Advice to Management

Management puts in so much time and effort training new employees, they need a better structure of how to groom people for taking upper level positions. This will keep us more engaged. Take us to conferences and client meetings with you, insist that we learn how to use project management tools, talk to us about business development.

"Great place to work if you like to choose your own career. You get out of it what you put into it."

Current Employee - Principal
    Current Employee - Principal

I have been working at Exponent full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible in types of projects you can work on and areas where you can build your expertise.
    There are a wide variety of technically challenging projects you can have an opportunity to work on day in and day out.
    Many brilliant people work at Exponent, providing a stimulating environment for consultants.
    Management is very approachable.
    Professors at prestigious universities see Exponent as the best destination for their top students who don't want to stay in academia.

Cons

Emphasis on utilization rate (billable time) can become a distraction to young engineers who need to spend time marketing and developing professionally in order to really become a successful consultant.
    Exponent is very conservative in terms of capital equipment purchases, believing Exponent's primary value is in our consultants. While this is true, it creates a challenge in marketing to new clients who believe the equipment is necessary to provide a complete solution.