Express - It is a basic retail job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Express

"It is a basic retail job"

Former Employee - Brand Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA
Former Employee - Brand Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Express part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A fashion forward company that really teaches sales associates the current trends and how to give great customer service.

Cons

There is no room to move to corporate if that is what you want, very hard to get off the retail management track.

Other Employee Reviews for Express

"Clueless Company"

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Lead in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Lead in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount was awesome! 30% for PT, 40% for FT, and an additional 15% when they're feeling frisky.

Cons

Most of the managers are clueless about how to actually run a store. If the weekly meeting is about every number is down, maybe something should be changed??? Communication between managers and associates is limited on purpose because "associates don't need to understand why we're doing this." Too much gossip, not enough work being done.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Come down off the throne and get to know the little people so everyone can work TOGETHER.

2. "Extreme Work with no Pay"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Washington, DC

I have been working at Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good clothes for a descent price
    -Nice people to work with
    -Discount 40%

Cons

-Company addresses financial problems by cutting salaries
    -Low pay
    -Stupid customers
    -Hard to find motivated associates when they pay so little

Advice to Management

PAY MORE!!!! Everyone always recruits associates from Express because the company is know for working people to death and not compensating them for it. Other employers come in an offer people way more money for less work. There's such a high turnover rate for managers and associates because there's so much better out there. Another thing that sucks is that we don't get our employee discount off of clearance items! I think that its unfair for the company to constantly raise prices and have the exact same discount. this result in employees not wearing clothes which makes it harder to sell them. Express trains their customers to be so needy!!! If you don't bend over backwards for most customers they are running to contact our customer relations department. We don't get commission so we shouldn't be forced to do so much extra when we are not getting compensated. So many customers have the idea that its your job to do this and that which Express created! The return policy should also be changed to 14 days! There is a 90 day return policy!! What top retailer besides them has such a ridiculous policy? This makes it 10x harder to make weekly sales goals and lets not forget about the 100s of coupons that are sent out every hour of the day!