Express - My first time in retail and it has been a really good experience. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Express

"My first time in retail and it has been a really good experience."

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Lead
Current Employee - Part Time Sales Lead

I have been working at Express part-time (More than a year)

Pros

30% discount on everything except clearance. They pay close attention to talent. If you do what you're supposed to do and there is an opening for management they will recommend you. You don't need a degree in sales and they treat you with respect. You can grow with the company. We are a team. I love they're clothes!

Cons

$8.50 minimum hourly wage to start, not a lot of hours, hours are based on how much money the store makes and because of the amount of employees on the roster, you may only get 4-8hrs a week. :-( Employees cannot combine coupons with discount and are encouraged to use discount instead of coupons. You don't get commission. Part time Sales lead only gets $10/hr (to start but they may offer more based on experience) They don't like to say how much management gets paid, it's not allowed apparently so you won't know exactly what you're working towards.

Advice to Management

Tell employees the benefits of staying and growing with the company. How much are you all getting paid?? People work harder when they know that it is worth it.

Other Employee Reviews for Express

1. "if you like fashion, decent first job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Express part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a pretty good experience with the management.
    flexible schedule.
    recognized good work.
    Great prizes for product knowledge. (free jeans!)
    decent discount.
    little to no security.
    upbeat music helped time go by.

Cons

way too much emphasis on the express card, you'd think it's the, only way they make money by the intensity with which they push it.
    at the time management would get rewarded for our work to the point of unfairness. they would make sure we knew how meeting sales goals would get THEM cash prizes....and then wonder where the morale went.
    the discount couldn't be put toward clearance or combined with coupons.
    minimum wage pay with no commissions.
    filthy employee bathrooms.
    No commission, even though my job tested on my ability to sell...?!

Advice to Management

don't flaunt your rewards for our hard work especially when we aren't a part of it.

2. "They work their employees to DEATH."

Pros

They offer an amazing employee discount....especially if you are full time.

Cons

You will have to do a million tasks while helping customers and making sure no one is stealing from your store. And the next day you will need to change everything you did the day before.