Express - Almost six months here | Glassdoor

"Almost six months here"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the discount and the merchandise...my wardrobe has never been better! I love being up to date on all the new styles and my store manager is great. I was hired as a seasonal sales associate and kept on, now my store manager is pushing the DM to bring me on as management.

Cons

It can be a bit stressful at times (not as much now) and there's a lot of repetition when it comes to having to memorize things. There's a lot of pressure. When I first started, I wanted to break down and cry nearly every day that I worked. The co-managers were pretty cruel and it was a real downer for my self-esteem. I suggest being careful applying/working here if you have emotional thin skin. Shifts for associates usually run 4-5 hours, or 7 if you're working a Black Friday shift or Floor set. Don't expect a break, ever, no matter how many hours you work.

Advice to Management

I would suggest the management not look down on associates, at least not openly. A little more patience would be nice too, especially when you're not actually trained, you kind of have to pick up on things on your own.

Other Employee Reviews for Express

"Awful"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Express part-time

Pros

The sole pro that I can think of is that this was located in a mall, which made it easy to go shopping after work.

Cons

-Call ins are frequently arranged but never actually carried out.
    -They don't have enough people there throughout the day maintaining cleanliness so by the end of the day it takes 3-4 hours to close.
    -They pay minimum wage but expect you to wear their clothes every day (which are pricey, even after the 30% employee discount.)
    -Inconsistent with hours. You can work 3 hours one week and 16 the next and have no say in it.
    -No structure or training, just kind of thrown into the fire.

"Ehh"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Savannah, GA

I worked at Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A good start to the retail industry. Fast fashion and cheap prices gives lots of foot traffic. Nice discount

Cons

Too high of expectations with no support from Store management. Expect you to sell a complete look without spending more than one minute with a customer. So many rules makes it impossible to succeed