Express - Great Work Experience, Minimum Wage Pay | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Express

"Great Work Experience, Minimum Wage Pay"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Madison, WI
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Madison, WI

I worked at Express part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The things I learned from working at Express will be things I carry with me into my next jobs, its defiantly a great place to work to get customer service and selling skills.

Cons

The low base pay and lack of hours really make this a part time job for those who are in school or have a second part time thing.

Advice to Management

Give more full time hours and a higher base pay.

Other Employee Reviews for Express

1. "Nice introduction to the retail world"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall working at Express is an easy, fun job. It was my first experience working in retail and the training was very thorough. The clothes are hip, cool and of a good quality and the employee discount is great. This was my second job so I viewed it as mostly a fun break from the daily grind. Easy to make your own schedule.

Cons

Working for minimum wage is absolutely horrible and from what I've heard from my managers they are not paid enough for the hours they put in. Within my store there was also a lot of gossip among employees and managers. I also find the near constant segment goals that are pushed on associates annoying. Some of the quotas that we are asked to meet are not realistic and I don't enjoy having my manger ask me why we didn't "make the day" or "go green" for the segment. I've been working here almost a year and I have no expectations of ever getting a raise.

Advice to Management

Put less emphasis on making money and more emphasis on giving customers a great shopping experience.

2. "Don't appreciate employess enough"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garland, TX

I have been working at Express part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clothes are amazing and beautiful
    The discount (30%) is decent
    Sometimes we get an extra 15% discount (30% + 15% = 45%)
    Depending on your coworkers, it can be a fun place to work

Cons

Starting wage is the federal minimum ($7.25)
    I've heard a wise tale that you get a raise after a year but I've yet to receive it (though perhaps because I've only worked seasonally), but a coworker told me it was only a 10 cent raise anyway. Pathetic.
    For how expensive and popular Express clothing is, you would think they would pay their employess more

Advice to Management

Customers are the focus, which is great, but I think there could be a bit more focus on the employees. Make it a great environment for both the customers and the employees. Happy employees give better customer service.