Express - Good part time work for school | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Express

"Good part time work for school"

I worked at Express part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a good company to work for during college. It affords flexible hours and offers a competitive discount policy.

Cons

Pay is very entry level through Sales Lead level.

Other Employee Reviews for Express

"Terrible pay, unpredictable hours."

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generally very nice co-workers, most of the managers are also very nice. The job itself is USUALLY easy.

Cons

Horrendous bare minimum wage pay, no chance of advancement or raises, strong sense that you're always easily replaceable, some managers are fake-friendly with that used car salesman type attitude. Your hours will be all over the place. Sometimes you even get a over-night shift for clearance and inventory with only a few days notice even if you put down that you're not available to work those hours. You'll never get more than 30 hours a week, ever.

They basically train you to do anything to pressure the customers to buy. To the point where I feel like they push people away with their up-selling. I'm of the mind that most people know what they want, and based on my experience they rarely ever buy any additional product you push on them. You're supposed to talk to every person that enters the store, but if you're hit with a rush they get mad if miss someone when it's literally impossible to get them all without having a loud speaker.

Almost everything is grossly over-priced - Shirts sell for $59.90-$69.90 a piece jeans sell for $88-$108, yet they pay you a slave wage. I regularly ring up $500+ purchases, and stand there making enough money to barely cover my snack on my 15. They expect you to wear their clothing, even though they say it's option, they strongly encourage it.

For the love of God, don't let a customer take a 1MX shirt to the dressing room, get them to try on a sample shirt because it's a pain to repackage them. Also, my management doesn't like it if I don't stop someone from opening a 1MX, to the point where I don't know why we don't have signs up at the 1MX wall that state "We prefer you try on a sample shirt please."

When it's very busy and the store is making a lot of money, you're helping multiple people, re-folding mountains of clothing, ringing up angry customers, checking on guests in the fitting rooms, trying to great everyone that walks in the, having your manager tell you to make sure you're doing everything that you're already doing you sometimes feel like you should be gettign paid $2-$4 an hour more than you do.

Sales and coupons constantly change, almost daily. Sometime it's tough to remember what promotions are current and what coupons work with which sales. It frustrates the customers greatly. The company would do well to just have more competitively priced clothing straight-up or regular sales. Not "buy 1 get 1 excluding clearance, plus Express Cash, no coupons, rewards okay, on select items."

Associate discount is 30% which is sometimes worse than having a good coupon, but associates aren't allowed to use coupons. You're also strongly discourage from shopping at other Express stores because they all compete which pretty gross and weird. So don't go trying to use your discount any where but your place of employment. If there's a really good sale, your discount won't work.

2. "Good place for advancement"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Express part-time (More than a year)

Pros

advance from within, can request days off & trade shifts, fun environment

Cons

different schedules every week, nights and weekend (basic retail stuff)