Express - Worst management experience I've had | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Express

"Worst management experience I've had"

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the people that worked for me. I had an amazing staff.

Cons

Way too involved just to run a clothing store. Morning routine is an hour of paperwork, charts and boards to fill out, messages to be recorded for employees to listen to- plus going to the bank and cleaning. Not to mention all the other reports and lists and plans managers have to do. Horrible pay for hourly employees AND management team- every one is constantly searching for a better paying job. Low pay = low loyalty I don't care how good of a work ethic you have.

Advice to Management

Running a clothing store is just that. At the end of the day you are selling clothes to people- not performing brain surgery. You ask way too much. Just let people get out there and help customers.

Other Employee Reviews for Express

"Terrible pay, unpredictable hours."

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generally very nice co-workers, most of the managers are also very nice. The job itself is USUALLY easy.

Cons

Horrendous bare minimum wage pay, no chance of advancement or raises, strong sense that you're always easily replaceable, some managers are fake-friendly with that used car salesman type attitude. Your hours will be all over the place. Sometimes you even get a over-night shift for clearance and inventory with only a few days notice even if you put down that you're not available to work those hours. You'll never get more than 30 hours a week, ever.

They basically train you to do anything to pressure the customers to buy. To the point where I feel like they push people away with their up-selling. I'm of the mind that most people know what they want, and based on my experience they rarely ever buy any additional product you push on them. You're supposed to talk to every person that enters the store, but if you're hit with a rush they get mad if miss someone when it's literally impossible to get them all without having a loud speaker.

Almost everything is grossly over-priced - Shirts sell for $59.90-$69.90 a piece jeans sell for $88-$108, yet they pay you a slave wage. I regularly ring up $500+ purchases, and stand there making enough money to barely cover my snack on my 15. They expect you to wear their clothing, even though they say it's option, they strongly encourage it.

For the love of God, don't let a customer take a 1MX shirt to the dressing room, get them to try on a sample shirt because it's a pain to repackage them. Also, my management doesn't like it if I don't stop someone from opening a 1MX, to the point where I don't know why we don't have signs up at the 1MX wall that state "We prefer you try on a sample shirt please."

When it's very busy and the store is making a lot of money, you're helping multiple people, re-folding mountains of clothing, ringing up angry customers, checking on guests in the fitting rooms, trying to great everyone that walks in the, having your manager tell you to make sure you're doing everything that you're already doing you sometimes feel like you should be gettign paid $2-$4 an hour more than you do.

Sales and coupons constantly change, almost daily. Sometime it's tough to remember what promotions are current and what coupons work with which sales. It frustrates the customers greatly. The company would do well to just have more competitively priced clothing straight-up or regular sales. Not "buy 1 get 1 excluding clearance, plus Express Cash, no coupons, rewards okay, on select items."

Associate discount is 30% which is sometimes worse than having a good coupon, but associates aren't allowed to use coupons. You're also strongly discourage from shopping at other Express stores because they all compete which pretty gross and weird. So don't go trying to use your discount any where but your place of employment. If there's a really good sale, your discount won't work.

2. "Good job to have while in College."

Former Employee - Sales Lead
    Former Employee - Sales Lead

I worked at Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Fun work environment, High volume stores have better management, folding clothing is easy.

Cons

Politics can stand in the way of promotions. Be sure to start out in a high volume store this will allow you to move up faster.