Express Scripts - Demanding, but rewarding, if you seek it. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Express Scripts

"Demanding, but rewarding, if you seek it."

Current Employee - Senior Intervention Technician in Tempe, AZ
Current Employee - Senior Intervention Technician in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work can be demanding at times, but it's also simple enough, and it's pretty easy to grow with the company too, if you look and ask for it.

Cons

Work/life balance can be tough in the company, and the volume of work can be unstable--you can have no work one day, and be completely swamped the next.The constant changes in policies and procedures can be overwhelming too.

Advice to Management

While things are getting better, communication among the different departments is a bit lacking. It's especially important to keep everyone in the loop, if there are numerous changes happening.

Other Employee Reviews for Express Scripts

"Rated top 3 in the worst companies I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My co-workers are awesome people- that's it, nothing else.

Cons

Legacy Medco was head & shoulders above ESI. Since the merger, it's been disastrous, I've been with ESI since the merger and see how they run their company. I gave it a chance, I truly did. However, ESI hires the cheapest staff they can find, their management hires in St Louis are a joke. They don't have long range plans, they implement changes and don't plan how it will affect the downstream areas. The downstream areas are confused by the work you do....It's just silo after silo. It's disorganized and poorly run. Nothing ESI does is properly managed or thought out. Company is so 15 years ago, the technology they use is a joke, their business practices are from 1992.....it's like stepping into a time machine when you visit headquarters in St. Louis. It's so sad when I come to the office in NJ, remembering how great Medco was, so innovative with lots of opportunity. Understanding it's a business and we're here to make money, this company is so poorly run from top to bottom. The benefits that were offered for 2014 were a joke!

Advice to Management

I wouldn't know where to begin, it's a disaster- every.single.department.

"Culture of Disposable Employees"

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is a large company, which offers some piece of mind, average to above health
    insurance but costs $$, hours are good, and time off can be flexible. The company is
    full of Good people to work with, who try to do a good job for our patients.

Cons

The company sets strictly enforced rate expectations for Pharmacist and
    Technicians that are mostly unattainable without cutting corners. If
    you are making corrections or needing to clarify something or spending
    more than average time with a patient or doctor's office on the phone
    then it will make it more difficult to achieve the expected rate. This
    puts us in a compromising position, where job security is threatened at
    the expense of potentially decreasing patient safety, and or not
    fulfilling patient/client expectations. This is a perfect storm in an
    environment where there are fewer and fewer jobs available. There has
    been significant increases in efficiency's deserving of praise, but only
     met with higher rate expectations and threats. This company appears
    not to appreciate its workers, and have stripped away the pride that
    many used to have in their work. At the end of the day I am
    increasingly left with the feeling that I didn't do the best job for the
     patient and deliver what their insurance is paying for and expecting.
    There is also very little if any company sponsored events for employees
    outside work hours.

Advice to Management

Everyone wants their company to succeed in this competitive market and would be
    happy to see increases in production. But the current threatening work environment does not help a company to be the best, and most competitive in the Market Place. It Does not create a Team of Dedicated workers that collaborate at times to do the best job for their patients, but rather a collection of Individuals who are less likely to help each other knowing that it could hurt their rates and therefore their job security. These same individuals know that each time they catch an error and have to clarify something on the prescription it can directly lower their rates. Finding errors on prescriptions used to be a measure of an above average employee, who was praised for doing a good job. Now finding too many errors and spending time to correct it will cause them to have lower rates and ultimately risk loosing their job. Employees are moms and dads, husbands and wives, sisters and brothers and lastly they are also real people and our patients. If there are too many employees do the right thing and lay us off, or offer more separation agreements. If not measure us on metrics that produce a better quality product for our patients. There should be a balance between rates and quality incentives. Not only do these tactics do nothing to improve the our business and reputation, they put patients and contracts at risk, hurt the moral by demeaning the same employees who continue to give more of themselves, and lastly they do much worse by destroying the very Integrity of business we serve.