Extended Stay America - Too Many in Senior Management (VPs) at Corporate Office Have no Clue how to actually Run the Hotels | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Extended Stay America

"Too Many in Senior Management (VPs) at Corporate Office Have no Clue how to actually Run the Hotels"

Current Employee - Area Manager
Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Low management turnover. Don't have to wear suit and tie.

Cons

Low Pay.
Low Pay for hourly workers so hard to attract and retain quality individuals.
Constantly introducing new policies, many of them not thought out. No respect for managers at hotels and none for staff.
Talks about caring for staff, but actions are the opposite of what the senior managers say.
Too many people in positions of power that have never run a hotel, especially a budget conscious brand.
Let operations managers do their job and hire more sales managers to do theirs.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Spend some real money on employees and truly invest in the properties.

Other Employee Reviews for Extended Stay America

"Job had lots of downtime, but almost every aspect of hotel management was sloppy and careless."

Former Employee - Night Audit/Laundry, Front Desk in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Night Audit/Laundry, Front Desk in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Extended Stay America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The night audit position was often easy and paid a dollar per hour more than regular daytime front desk work for fewer responsibilities. Performing the night audit itself was the easiest part of the job once you got the hang of it. There was no complicated math, it was basically just printing out papers and putting them in the right order. There usually were not many check-ins. However, sometimes it would get busy during the summer months and the load of customers that came all at once could be a lot for one person to handle. Otherwise, I usually had a fair amount of time at night to just watch TV or browse the internet on my laptop. Towards the end of my shift, I would have to put out breakfast, which was pretty much just bagels, some fruit, and coffee. That generally didn't take long. I did not have to wear a uniform, but I think this varies by location.

Cons

For most of the night (10pm-6am), I was the only hotel employee there, period. In addition to being the sole employee on duty, I had to do laundry, which required being in back and monitoring a video screen for any customers at the desk. Sometimes there was an enormous amount of laundry, but it was usually manageable, albeit tedious and at times disgusting. The training provided was not sufficient to handle every problem that came up. My immediate manager often didn't answer her phone, and the one above her would only help by phone begrudgingly. Sometimes guests would have reasonable dilemmas I did not have the power to solve, and management was usually content to let me take the wrath of the customer and leave me hanging with little or no ability to make things right. The maids were sloppy and the hotel was well below adequate cleanliness, both in the halls and in the rooms. Customer parking was insufficient, costly, and in general it created a nightmare of customer complaints. Customers records were not kept in a secure fashion. Pay raises were very few and far between, with no prospect of advancement. A few times I had to call the police due to unruly or drunken guests or trespassers. At times, I genuinely feared for my safety.

Advice to Management

Take the time to oversee the hotel in more detail, paying close attention to customer complaints and cleanliness. Encourage better work from your employees with support and incentive. Screen the new hires more effectively and don't take for granted the quality employees you do have. One of the best front desk workers was fired when I was there because he took quality issues into his own hands when my manager refused or was too lazy to do so.

2. "An outstanding company to work for!"

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in El Paso, TX

I worked at Extended Stay America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really loved my job at Extended Stay Hotels, I left for a while on my account and then returned some months later, I eventually left due to a lack of hours and a large amount of physical work that wasn't suited to me as I was physically sick at the time.

Cons

Low pay and benefits for a part time worker.