FAA - Air Traffic as a profession | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for FAA

"Air Traffic as a profession"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Federal employment, Good Benefits, Better than average pay

Cons

Management is more reactive than proactive.

Advice to Management

Don't let the union take over again

Other Employee Reviews for FAA

"Job security at it's best."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Friendly people and you are not always worried about the state of the economy and the security of your job. The location of the DC office is also great, which is considerably right in the ehart of our nations capital, Washington DC. Federal employees also have perks that are not known, some of which are quite impressive.

Cons

Sometimes you run into a lack of motivation with other workers in governement and on your own team. The incentives for hard work arent exactly comparable to private sector either; in government, age and time with the business plays a big role when it comes to moving up.

Advice to Management

Most managers are nice and that reall y helps, but occassionaly, as in eveyrwhere, you run into managers that think they're too good and who are tough to work with.

"Air Traffic Control - either love it or hate it!"

Current Employee - Air Traffic Controller in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Air Traffic Controller in Lansing, MI

Pros

Air Traffic Control is a crazy job. They say only 2% of the population can do it. It is indeed a very stressful job. However, with hard work comes pride and joy in your accomplishments. It pays well, and there are packages such as the Thrift Savings Plan, and insurance. All the people that work in air traffic seem to be very intelligent people; they are quick on their feet, and think before they talk. These are some of the qualities you need to be an air traffic controller. I work in a place where the supervisors recognize hard work. When there is an emergency, a supervisor will commend a person for a job well done through written acknowledgments.

Cons

This is a very stressful job that is not for the week of heart. It takes about 1-2 years of working one-on-one with a senior controller while you speak over frequency, and they are able to override you if needed. However, air traffic controllers are known to "eat their own". That is, they are cutthroat, and if you make a bad transmission, they are likely to yell at you, and heaven forbid you make the same mistake twice, they may even unplug you to embarrass you! I am considering leaving Air Traffic Control to find another job. I know I can do anything I set my mind to. However, if you are doing it just for the pay, you may want to reevaluate if you want to be yelled at everyday. It is stressful and you take the job home with you.

Advice to Management

My facility has a great management, so for other facilities, I think that employees really care that you recognize them, whether its for something simple like cleaning up after themselves, taking time to train another person during break, or assisting during an emergency.